What did you eat today - that you grew?

up here in N. Maine it should be a banner year. was wet when it should and hot and dry when it should. s Maine got the drought with the rest of s new england this year. at least bug/ fungal pressure should have been down significantly for them. drought affects them more along the coast with the sandy soil where our clay up here holds onto its water for much longer.

1 Like

the joys of housesitting a gardenerā€™s place. we pay our folks with free eggs.

3 Likes

@jrd51 Who did you buy your spawn from? Think Iā€™m going to try a few near the end of winter.

I think it was Fungi Perfecti. But plug spawn isnā€™t difficult to make so you can consider other vendors.

As I recall, the Shiitake strain was 3782.

Not jrd51 but just wanted to say that Iā€™ve used https://www.fieldforest.net/ for several years (not yearly) with very good luck. Iā€™ve not compared prices though.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used them too and have been satisfied with their stuff.

2 Likes

That place is cheap. Iā€™ll give them a spin myself.

1 Like

Edible Landscaping has some as well somewhat decently priced, but their shipping is a lot.

Einset and Jupiter grapes. 24 and 22 brix respectively. The Einset taste like strawberry candy, and Jupiter has some muscat flavor and more sweet/tart balance.

8 Likes

Sierra Beauty and Waltana apples. A month earlier than I expected but Iā€™ll take it.

And of course apple pie.

14 Likes

That crust looks fabulous!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to order an eight block set of kings and some outdoor spawn. Raising mushrooms indoors in the winter helps with the need to garden. Last year my mushrooms (grey oysters and lionā€™s mane) kept me busy up until it was time to start seed for the summer garden.
Iā€™m sure I got my moneyā€™s worth as seen with part of last yearā€™s endeavor.

16 Likes

Great looking apples and a delicious looking apple pie. :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks! My wife made the crust, it was great. She uses a recipe that calls for sour cream and it helps make it easier to roll the dough out. Iā€™m looking forward to grafting more varieties on my two trees this next spring.

3 Likes

Pawpaw pulpā€¦ :yum:

4 Likes

I thought some kind of cheese when I looked without reading.

2 Likes

Itā€™s too yellow to orangeā€¦ :blush:

1 Like

I didnā€™t say good cheese :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Night time snack.

6 Likes

KSU Atwood pawpaw. This is what remains after I cut it up into quarters. Itā€™s mild, but less so than Shenandoah. They also get to be pretty large. I really like it.

7 Likes