What did you eat today - that you grew?

How do you store them?

My last hurrah for eggplants. Some of them became eggplant parm, most of them are being processed to be marinated and preserved in olive oil.

15 Likes

Beautiful!!!

2 Likes

I’m guessing you really LIKE eggplant. Nice harvest.

1 Like

I do like my marinated eggplant in olive oil. This time I took a page out of this lady’s recipe book and basically followed her process on a slightly larger scale:

Nonna Gina’s Marinated Eggplants in Olive Oil

2 Likes

We share them with lots of friends & family and mostly enjoy them fresh within a couple of weeks. Tried freezing some one year and that didn’t turn out too well. The weevil grubs emerge en masse if left too long in the baskets

We generally roast them but I’m experimenting with drying plus freezing, followed by roasting later. I doubt that we have weevils here. There’s no native chestnuts. Unless they’d come over from acorns and walnuts. I don’t see any evidence of boring, however,

Not as many Asian pears on this tree as the past few years due to early weather conditions but better grade overall. Picked a large box full. All ripe and juicy. The next tree has more.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Those look delicious and especially juicy.

3 Likes

More tomatoes, cucumbers and bright red peppers.

9 Likes

Melon from my compost, it’s very sweet. I asked my daughter to put in the fridge about 3 weeks ago. It’s perfect, not too ripe.

Arugula and Japanese mustard spinach, I will add to sausage pasta today, this bed is very fertile with my own compost, French breakfast is a bit overgrown, I will put it in a stew like potato

Sweet peppers and ping Tung long eggplants, I’m going to remove all my eggplant plants soon. They are overgrown.
Planning to make eggplant and pepper terrine

Genovese basil and some yellow crookneck squashes

9 Likes

Watercress, a have an abundance of this, I need to clean one bed to make room for the peonies, they are coming today. I’m making swordfish Vera Cruz with my own red jalapeño pepper today. I also picked some French breakfast radishes to go with this watercress.

Very excited to see my first avocado, it’s grown in container, it’s sold as Haas, but I don’t know what it is. I read the avocados start to ripen up the minute you pick them, so planning to make some Mexican dish this week.

7 Likes

Another melon from my compost, my husband said they are the best tasting so far.

9 Likes

My 3 year old daughter’s breakfast this morning - maypop, muscadines, autumn olives, fig and fuyu-type persimmon. October pickings are the best of the year!

15 Likes

The ultimate breakfast of champions!

2 Likes

Especially when you can pick it all yourself!

2 Likes

Still getting some fall berries…

11 Likes

My last melon from the compost. I rested in a bowl and then it got stuck, almost an acorn shape.

10 Likes

@TNHunter Beautiful berries! Which varieties are those raspberries?