What did you eat today - that you grew?

Lemons, I’m going to make lemon cake and need organic peels, not yellow enough, but these 2 will do

Arugula in abundance, I’m going to give some away to friends at my senior center, I keep cutting and they keep coming

Tatsoi, today I will make pork belly ramen noodle with one bunch.

8 Likes

Mandarins from my sister’s yard.

Watercress after the rain

Greens from my garden, collard greens and arugulas will replace kale from the recipe kale potato soup.

8 Likes

Spent some time setting up and shooting photo references for still life paintings. (Just want everyone to know that I don’t do ‘forum photos’ with this much ‘fancy’!) :grin:
I do eat one of these, just about every day. My granddaughters will likely do the same when they visit this coming week.

Anyway . . . This is a KajAcik Anor with some Granadas and a very pale Wonderful. “Kaj” has a great taste but a bit more seed than I would prefer. Still . . . it’s a super fruit. Large and very pretty.

There was one little - very tiny pom that I took some photos of. I love the colors in its calyx. And it looks great on that blue plate! I think it might be a Salavatski. I don’t remember now . . .

Kaj and Friends in White Oblong Bowl

tiny pomegranate

SQ 3 poms w pedestal and leaves

14 Likes

Very nice photos. Would like to see the still lifes. I have several my mom did and make prints of them.

2 Likes

I get that this is a forum about fruit . . . . But if I grow the fruit and the deer eat the fruit and then I eat the deer, does that count?

7 Likes

@jrd51 … below is what i said at the start of this one.

Would love to see what all you are eating “Today” what ever day it is… that you grew, foraged, caught, produced.

Deer abused my mulberry leaves… they are going to get some payback soon.

3 Likes

OK, I just finished butchering this guy. The scale said 256 lbs live weight. Took a pair of does earlier too. So far all we’ve eaten is the heart and one tenderloin.

12 Likes

@jrd51 … nice buck… one like that can really skin up your fruit trees. I have a crabapple in my back yard that has been buck rubbed twice… something fierce. It recovered nicely both times.

Tenderloins… very good and tender even on older deer.

Backstrap from a young deer… i take a 4 or 5 inch long piece and butterfly cut it open… you get a nice sized inch thick cut of meat that way.

Season with salt pepper garlic … and some A1 sauce… bacon wrap it… grill it med rare… oh man… good stuff.

5 Likes

Ariana pomegranate

8 Likes

Nice buck!

4 Likes

Was not quite what I expected to see a picture of in here.
I almost never see the ones around here, but they like nibbling my young trees. The neighbors are basically the house on the hill, so they can see them frolicking almost every day.

Apologies for duplicating a a photo posted in another thread, but this is relevant here. I started picking Ichi Ki Kei Jiro persimmons today. This is roughly 1/3 of the crop, based on a crude guesstimate of what’s left on the trees.

7 Likes

Just harvested my first ever homegrown brussel sprouts. Our local nursery was selling starts of some purple type this spring, so I decided to try them out. Have 3 more plants still growing, but these roasted up nicely:

They were much milder tasting than the green kind usually at the market or grocery store.

Also still continuously harvesting tomatoes in the greenhouse, both “Pink Boar” and “Optimal”:

7 Likes

Moringa harvest from a weak little plant that went into the ground last year. It took until mid-august to wake up. But it did produce the pods at the end. Hope it survives this winter and grows more next year.

9 Likes

WOW! Thats great! I still didn’t manage to have it growing…

What do you do with it, first time I see this vegetable, and what does it taste like.

We make curries (specifically sambhar) and few Indian dishes. The leaves can perfume dishes like curry leaves but also can be cooked like spinach.

2 Likes

Wow. Didn’t know this could grow in the Bay Area!

1 Like

There are many prolific and large Moringa trees close to my neighborhood in San Jose. I see some even produce pods early and dry up to produce viable seeds. Mine only woke up in august (planted in part-shade) but bloomed a lot in Sep. it’s only 1 year in the ground. So, I hope with age it produces early. I should also knock on those houses with early producing plants and get some seeds to see if I can find early blooming offsprings to get better harvest.

3 Likes

Jerusalem artichokes.

8 Likes