What did you eat today - that you grew?

As most of you know, I have a kitchen garden so I always wait until the absolute last minute to pick my vegetables for cooking, so here is my haul today. Watercress, green onions, French breakfast, chives, French tarragon, parsley(both types), and arugulas. My sister has kidney disease, the only 2 vegs she can eat without problem are watercress and arugula. She will most likely take home all the vegs, especially after they are prepped.
I also picked some more Algerian Fremont, I will use them to rinse my turkey instead of oranges. I now have an abundance of citrus fruit including lemons. My daughter made lemon meringue yesterday, it’s not a traditional pie for Thanksgiving, but what the heck, eat what you grow is my motto.

12 Likes

Beautifu!

2 Likes

Thank You

1 Like

Pink pulp finger lime

9 Likes

A couple rabbits took out most of my fall greens and ate all my carrot tops off.

Caught one of them so far… a young female… ate her for lunch just now… keto fried. Very good… much like a young squirrel… similar to chicken.

Got some fresh deer jerky going in the dehydrator… should be done in about 5 more hours. I may be hungry again by then :wink:

11 Likes

My haul today after I noticed them birds hollowed out one large Oro Blanco grapefruit.
Oro Blanco, Owari Satsuma, Algerian Fremont, and my own dwarf Myer lemon, much smaller than my sister’s, but it’s in a small container. I still have lots out there.
Owari Satsuma is actually seedless, unlike the Kara Satsuma.

9 Likes

Beautiful! How cold tolerant are the finger limes?

1 Like

I discovered a reasonably large persimmon orchard, bang in the middle of Silicon Valley. Not sure why I never noticed it before. It’s run by an old Japanese couple and they have a farm stand selling persimmons, Mutsu apples, figs and some vegetables. I picked up some astringent persimmons of what I thought were Saijo but couldn’t confirm. One ripened today and it tasted great. But I don’t see any difference between this and a Hachiya, whatsoever. Is that expected?

7 Likes

Hi! They are very cold hardy, at least to -5C. My fausterime resisted to the coldest temp of -6,5C! On that year all avocado trees in this region died, even the very big trees… fortunately my bacon avocado survived. But finger limes should be planted on sheltered locations. Mine are below big cork trees.

2 Likes

Bacon wrapped grilled backstrap and hind qtr (venison).

6 Likes

From my sister’s yard, pink grapefruit and mandarin, Algerian Fremont from my garden at the top of the picture.
The pink grapefruits are sour, but the tree serves as a good screen from her neighbor.

8 Likes

Last night and today I had venison BBQ… and it was very good.

Young doe, both front shoulders, cooked 5 hours on low in a crockpot yesterday… seasoned with bacon fat, butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, a little creole sasoning… and two strips of bacon over the top.

After 5 hours on low the meat just fell off bone and shredded easily.
Added some BBQ sauce and well it was Done and very very good.

If you ever wonder what to do with deer front shoulders… this is ideal solution. Works especially well with a young deer.

TNHunter

4 Likes

@californicus - that is a gorgeous persimmon.

I have never had any but wild (un-named) Americans and ate my last one of the year a couple weeks ago . Right now I am missing them for sure. I do have a little persimmon jam in the freezer.

I plan to start one asian IKKJ next spring, graft a hybrid - Kassandra, and graft a few named Americans too. Hopefully in a few years, I will have plenty of those.

1 Like

did similar with a moose roast i found in the bottom of my freezer last week except i added a small pork roast. seasoned and shredded in the instapot with kc masterpiece bbq sauce. phenomenal!

1 Like

My late restart bed of greens… (after rabbits wiped my first planting)… is about to grow enough to harvest a small salad.

Slow growing in November here… but it is still growing. Supposed to get down to 26 or so tonight so i put the row cover back on. Looks like after tonight I will be able to take it off again for a few more days.

4 Likes

I freeze a bunch of raspberries… sure is nice to pull them out and eat them all winter.

6 Likes

Yesterday I made 3 jars of pink grapefruit jelly, the grapefruits were so bitter, I couldn’t eat them raw, maybe I picked them too soon.
This morning I had them over toast with butter, it’s edible like bitter marmalade, then read this, so maybe I keep eating the everyday until the jars are gone.

Naringenin from the skin and pith are good for you

Flowers I picked from my garden yesterday, not edible but it’s nice to look at them while I eat breakfast

5 Likes

Not eating them yet but I harvested Gora Goverla persimmons today. Could wait for another week or two but my family was getting impatient

12 Likes

Congratulations Paul, they are beautifull! :grin:

3 Likes

@steveb4 … today i have 2 crockpots going… making more Venison Roast BBQ.

2 hind quarters and 2 front quarters.

Going to eat one good mess of this cooking… and then freeze the rest to eat over the next several months.

**Add later… 6 hours on low… after pulling…the end results.

8 Likes