What did you eat today - that you grew?

Saw another ran over on I-75 today.
About every time I get out, I see another one that the buzzards, coyotes and crows get to eat!
(Do turkeys ever eat them?)

1 Like

@BlueBerry — Turkeys will eat lots of things… bugs lizards fire ants, small animals… of course acorns, corn, grains, etc…

Not sure about eating a deer carcass… I have never seen one eating a larger animal. Their beaks probably not quite right for eating meat on a larger scale… but anything they can easily swallow probably fair game.

2 Likes

ive seen chickens completely eat their own. only feathers/ bones left. if something opened up a deer carcass for them, I’m pretty sure they would help themselves.

2 Likes

Are those white oaks? It’s a convention under mine in October.

Thank you so much for the recipe and advice on using 6 eggs.

1 Like

yes @jrd51 … i have two nice large white oaks and a couple post oaks in the back yard.

I’m picking the last of this bed, I will be sowing peas here, the last batch was all eaten by the birds. I need to cover them this time.

Flowers from my garden, I particularly like the light pink one, it’s an old name, Meredith, I don’t know any Meredith in real life and it’s supposed to be fragrant.

2 Likes

They are not as common around hear. If one is dead by the road someone quickly picks it up for buchering.

1 Like

Already took one of those pints of venison bbq out of the freezer and had it for dinner tonight… the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Deer bbq and fried okra… love it when most on the plate I grew or foraged, hunted etc.

Tried some store bought keto buns for the first time tonight. Not sure i trust those but sure made a good bbq sandwich.

6 Likes

White chocolate cranberry macadamia nut cookie, the recipe calls for orange zest, I don’t have any, so I used Algerian Fremont zest, it’s just as nice, tasty, and organic on top.

5 Likes

A few more salads from my little greens hot bed.

6 Likes

I found a few bags of Toka plums in the freezer. Totally forgot I had them. Made some smoothies with the plums, milk and sugar. Very good, very fruity tasting but also had a banana taste. In fact, I didn’t tell my son what was in it and asked him what he thought was in it, and the first thing he said was " definitely bananas". I might plant a few more Tokas just to freeze for smoothies.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried a Toka plum, but the “bubblegum” flavor I’ve often seen it described as having is also found naturally occurring with banana flavor in some types of beer (from the yeast). Years ago I ruined the chemistry lab surprise/mystery for my lab partner when everyone in the class was paired up and assigned an ester to make and identify. “‘Isoamylacetate’? It’s bananas.” I don’t remember what the bubblegum one is and Googling it would be cheating. (I used to brew some Belgian-style beers.)

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. I once found a description of prunus simonii (which is one of Toka’s parents) as having an “apple-banana flavor.” I’ve always wanted to try a pure prunus simonii.

Had a couple nice fresh salads for dinner tonight.

I have 8F in the forcast just before Christmas… yikes… I can pile on extra blankets and will…

The end could be near for greens this year.

5 Likes

I picked my last batch of everything, I only have Lisbon and Eureka lemon, Meiwa Kumquat, and some type of grapefruit out there.

6 Likes

Covered them last night… but it did not get as cold as they forcast. Already bounced back to 40F this morning… warming up nicely.

Here comes the sun :wink:

6 Likes

2 full adult kids at home, oh boy do they eat. This week I have baked a ham, now I have a prime rib in the oven, I will put out a frozen Turkey next. And all of this before the Christmas Day. So of course I went outside to my garden for the rescue. I picked thyme and rosemary for the roast beef.
A bunch of young greens and some snap peas, and lots of old arugula leaves, they are bitter I bet, but I’m going to sauté them with garlic to lessen the bitterness.

Old arugula leaves

6 Likes

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that lovely cold tunnel is rabbit smorgasbord.

2 Likes

@murky … if you zoom in on the far end of the tunnel… you will find that I have chicken wire covering the tunnel ends. So when the cover is on I can safely open both ends for some good airflow.

My first fall bed (In my flat garden) rabbits wiped it out and my carrot tops…

So far they have not bothered this one. Different location, south side of house.

I think the next week or more of exterme cold may the more serious threat. Forcast is showing like 3 consecutive days of below freezing temps with lows in the 10-15 range.

3 Likes