What did you eat today - that you grew?

My little leaf lettuce bed is getting some good sun today and my 10 day forcast has a few 40s… but mostly 50s and 60s in it.

They came thru deep freeze last week just fine with a little care… Christmas lights and cover.

3 Likes

Making gluten lemon squares, I finally used all of the lemons left outside. My daughter can take some of this dessert back.

2 Likes

Got some rain today and a little sunshine.
A small harvest.

5 Likes

That’s the most photographed lettuce I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

I seem to have an abundance of tatsoi, I keep cutting and they keep coming. Thyme is to do French onion soup again, I tried a different recipe this year at Christmas and it didn’t turn out well, so I’m trying it again today.

7 Likes

I just picked these 2 naval oranges from my garden, going to make pana cotta with the peels since they are home grown so it’s safe to eat the peels. Dessert for New Year’s Eve.

Adding Meiwa Kumquat to the compote with orange syrup.

7 Likes

About 3 weeks ago I chopped the ends off a Puerto Rican sweet potato that I grew this summer while preparing to cook it. I stuck the ends in a small jar with some water. Fast forward to today and it was time to eat my raw sweet potato leaves. Nice an tender and I’ll have more in a few days. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Didn’t take a before photo, but here’s an after:

4 Likes

I made a wheat berry salad. The pickled green beans are Fortex that I grew. I added a bunch more than what’s on the cutting board. Also forgot the onions. Those will get added.

Also not shown are flat leaf parsley, sliced black olives, and red wine vinaigrette.

9 Likes

Still eating pickles from my garden cukes. Mostly garlic dills, some bread & butter type.

8 Likes

where did you get that big pickle jar?

1 Like

I think i found this one at Goodwill. I check occasionally.

2 Likes

I’m making baby back bbq ribs today,I will have them with my own dill pickles. I just picked another green onions and lots of arugula leaves, with this rain, maybe they won’t be so bitter. If not I will squeeze a bit of lemon.

5 Likes

Those look geat!

1 Like

I still have a lot of turnips. I tried to take a few photos of the one I made today (mashed), but I couldn’t get the photo to upload.

3 Likes

Thanks, they really are and hold well in the refrigerator.

i turned some of mine into turnip kimchi. so much easier to make than cabbage kimchi and has a sweet crunchy taste. got some Korean radish growing in my grow room right now im going to do the same with.

3 Likes

@steveb4 … wide mouth half gal mason jars work well. You can get fermentation lids for those…

6 Likes

I fermented some too, not the exact same as Kimchi, but same principle. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that my turnips are actually still in the ground. Despite -7 degree weather last week, they are still absolutely fine. I’m pretty sure that the snow insulated them. Also, when I pulled the one pictured it had 3 live slugs about an inch in length in the crease. I put them in the compost bucket for the chickens. :grinning:

4 Likes

I used the frozen pumpkin cubes from my garden into a leftover soup using the turkey carcass. Everything but the kitchen sink kind of soup, lol.

6 Likes

Green onions and some peppers, I’m going to make cheese quesadilla for lunch.

The Rose parade inspires me to cut some roses from my garden, I think it’s going to rain again.

4 Likes