What fruits did you eat today?

The local university here has a Paw Paw Party every september at the schools arboretum. They have several Paw Paw patches within the arboretum where they gather them up in 5 gallon buckets and setup tasting tables to allow the community to taste the fruit that many have never had a chance to try. I actually picked a half dozen this past weekend while hiking there. My daughter and I like them but the wife and son don’t. They also have Amercian Persimmon tree that are nearing ripeness. But i was told there was a professor that always takes the lions share at peak ripeness to make some type of jam. Just have to beat him to them.

1 Like

Hi Bill.
My friend gave me some Enterprise Apple right after picking from the tree in his yard. Looking so beautiful and he said they’re tasting more delicious than honey crisp apples. They are so fresh Super crisp but still tart after trying one for me, Apple has thick skin and disease resistant so no chemical needed for growing. I think he picked these Enterprise Apples a little early and he said can last up to half year long in the fridge. I have to wait at least another weeks to taste them again. I like my liberty Apple and Honey Crisp Apple better for now Bill.
October 8th 19. Enterprise Apple is very good quality after picking 20 days or longer . Peeling the skin off before eating please.

3 Likes

Yeah…past taste comments on here were kind of good and bad. I was in Madison at Olbrich one year and they had some that had splatted on the ground (it was fall time) and the one i picked up smelled like fish! So you know… that probably was a tad past its prime :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the report on Enterprise. Liberty has been really good tasting to me also.

3 Likes

I like them, especially when you get the perfect specimen. I think flavor also depends heavily on ripeness. Sometimes you get a crème brûlée/carmel flavor, particularly if you let them ripen longer. So far the strongest flavor I’ve detected is muskmelon-like. But there are hints of vanilla and coconut too. They taste like a paw paw. :wink:

1 Like

Frozen Lane muscadines. Zap about 20 second in the microwave and enjoy.

10 Likes

Those are all the flavors i like, but yeah i’m sure the flavors can vary widely. My seeds came from some dude off Ebay.

We tried that new First Kiss apple at the local orchard place. Wife really liked it. Little bit tarter then a honeycrisp but picks much earlier…although they also had honeycrisp (all locally grown).

3 Likes

Coffee Cake Persimmon.

17 Likes

I picked and ate so many Euro plums today. The largest harvest was Castleton about 8 lb today and by the time I finish harvesting, it will be about 20 + lbs this year.

23 Likes

Arbutus unedo fruits…

9 Likes

Strawberry tree fruit? I thought the fruits are not good for eating

2 Likes

No, they are great for eating! They are sweet!

1 Like

What does it taste like? Flavor& texture?

1 Like

Well it’s sweet and not juicy, like a paste… i don’t know how to descibe it but everyone here like it!

2 Likes

Susquehanna pawpaw.

16 Likes

Got some paw paws in the mail from Integration Acres. They only had them available for one day, then were sold out. (The website says if more fruit becomes available, they will post it.) These were packaged pretty well and tasted good, no bitter aftertaste. Hoping that my own trees produce more next year.

8 Likes

My first ever Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. One was filled with SWD larvae but the other was very good. Larger and tastier than what I can get around here wild.

15 Likes

can you
please tell me more about the black ice plum? like does it have a firm flesh? it is really self pollinating? how does it compare to other plums?

1 Like

i got a few berries from my newly planted Northrop mulberry. they were tiny as i just planted it in june but they tasted good. hopefully much more to come next summer. how big is your tree? mine was 4ft. when i got it. about 6ft. now. i have a Trader mulberry coming next spring.

This was the first time Black Ice has fruited for me,so others may have better info.
Mine came from a graft,probably Beauty on Flavor Supreme Pluot.
The flesh was firm,maybe like Santa Rosa.Whether they were picked too soon,I’m unsure,but there were fruit disappearing at the time.
I routinely hand pollinate,so someone else may be able to help with your question.
The flavor was good but only having one or two,I need more of a sampling to make a comparison to other varieties.
My wood may have come from Bob Purvis.bb

1 Like