What fruits did you eat today?

I have been eating great Fuyu persimmons for the past five months. Persimmons have become my favorite winter fruit… Unfortunately, the California farm that my Asian grocery store gets them from, does not label the boxes with the variety name.

6 Likes

It is one of my favorite persimmons too. I also like the astringent ones when they are really ripen. In winter time, I eat a lot of dried persimmons, so sweet

1 Like

I found these cherimoya from California for sale at the Vietnamese store. They were among the better cherimoya I’ve had. They were very fragrant, flavorful, and had a nice texture. I also nabbed a large Mamey sapote that’s still ripening. Coming in the mail later this week will be a box of star apples from Florida I’m getting from someone I networked with on Facebook.

6 Likes

@Ahmad how do you store them through the winter? Just freeze and thaw them when needed?

1 Like

I buy them from an Asian grocery store. They carried them through the end of Feb. They were not frozen. I think they were picked firm ripe, and stored just above freezing. Some varieties are very late ripening, perhaps can ripen their fruit in January.

2 Likes

6 Likes

forgot to add its jackfruit flavored.

2 Likes

Then we’ve come full circle! Flavoring bubble gum with a fruit that tastes like bubble gum, what a concept! :smile:

1 Like

By coincidence I just said yesterday how I would kill for a mamey!!
Nice haul.

Yep - I’ve found the best way to describe jackfruit taste to the uninitiated is “juicy fruit gum”

1 Like

Banana oil. Isoamyl acetate - Wikipedia
Also the worse gum to chew around bees.

2 Likes

:rofl:

I just ate my first ripe stone fruit of the yr, a Tasty Rich aprium. Only 16 brix but a nice sweet tart flavor. Very enjoyable. Six weeks later than the first harvest last yr but I started the greenhouse 5 weeks later and didn’t heat as much this yr.

6 Likes

Started heating it?

Strawberries!

This yr I did chilling Dec 1 until Jan 15. The prior yr Oct 20 until Dec 7. It’s nice to be able to play Mother nature to a significant extent. So an earlier start and more heating made for much earlier crop.

2 Likes

Garriguettes strawberries. Will buy more tomorrow as they have a short early season commercially. My garriguettes that I am growing are taking longer to size up. Delish, all the same. Wow , really!

2 Likes

Loquat.

11 Likes

Where did you get the loquats? Were they good?

1 Like

My first non-citrus fruit of 2021: Big Jim Loquat. Taste was very good (better than in past years).

12 Likes