What fruits did you eat today?

Some fall berries :yum:

6 Likes

A local PYO has a single branch of fully russeted Golden Delicious. We ate a couple at the field. This one is a little under ripe. I picked it anyways. Eating it now, it’s not the best GD I picked the other day but it’s pretty good. Again, it’s not fully ripe. This mutation must be fairly common.

1 Like

Wild persimmons… figs, red and gold raspberries… eversweet strawberries.

2 Likes

I’ve been gorging on local apples. We had some Topaz that were really good, and I find Crimson Crisp very reliable. I finished the good Macouns, and now have some that are a little past. They may become apple sauce. I haven’t started on the Ida Reds, yet. But they will be part of my Thanksgiving pies.

1 Like

1st yuzu ichandrin. I really thought it would be more bitter like a grapefruit but I was surprised it had much more plesant mandarin undertones.

5 Likes

I finally tried some Mandarinquats today and they were hit and miss with the taste. Most were so sour I couldn’t eat them, really disappointed. The softer ones tasted okay but by then lacked the juices and they were full of seeds.

I bought some round kumquats from the market and I believe they were Meiwa. They were okay but lacked the juices and were really to seedy to enjoy.

I heard lots of review on Nagami being to sour but since the ones I had were somewhat seedless I was able to chew them faster and once the peel got in there they weren’t to sour.

I have some Centennial on my tree but they still have some time to ripen.

2 Likes

I was a little surprised to see these Feijoas,in my local grocery’s produce section.They were picked a little early and allowed to sit.For about 25 cents a piece though,two were tried.Not bad,actually better than ones tried at some California fruit stands,in the Fall.

3 Likes

I had my first one about a month ago took a bunch of seeds and all of them are 1" now. Hope I can get them to grow I love the taste and the jelly these things make. And since they’re evergreen I’m going to make a fence row out of them

2 Likes

Ate a golden delicious today that was just that. The flesh has held up well and the taste was great. Nice and sweet but still with enough complex flavors to keep it interesting. I like that it has a thinner skin than some other keepers. I didn’t expect that I would consider it among my best apples so far.

2 Likes

Tried Autumn Glory apple from Washington State today. It was juicy and crunchy but flavor was mediocre. I don’t know why they grow so many varieties that are not an improvement over existing apples.

1 Like

Taste tested Melogold, Cocktail and Oroblanco grapefruit.

Loved Oroblanco - sweet and almost no bitterness!

Melogold was less sweeter and more bitter aftertaste, but still good!

Cocktail - disappointed by the flavor, sweet but the tartness is missing.

5 Likes

Nice report. Where were these grown?

1 Like

These were all from a nearby store. I planted an Oroblanco last year, but the tree has been slow (made the mistake of buying a not so healthy looking tree), but looking forward to this year.

2 Likes

The Oroblanco looks the most like a good pomelo.

1 Like

Thanks. Oro Blanco is very vigorous, so yours should perk up in no time. It does struggle the first year (most citrus do, but this one makes a scene), just try foliar spray of fish emulsion in spring. I asked you because I have my first cocktail fruit on a 1 year old graft, so I was curious about the best time to harvest it.

2 Likes

Thanks that gives me hope!

Regarding cocktail I read somewhere that you should not wait it to be fully yellow, as it tastes best when still green but starts to turn yellow. Not sure though, the ones I bought from the store where all mostly yellow.

2 Likes

Mine is quite yellow at this point. I was looking at CRFG emails and folks seem to be harvesting in Feb. I’ll probably wait for 2 more weeks before trying it. I have low expectations anyway given it’s the first fruit which is usually disappointing

2 Likes

Frozen Falsa, Grewia asiatica, uhm, I am way to drunk right now but i think it taste like Aronia

2 Likes

Found these in our local Sam’s club.

1 Like

I’ve been eating a lot of dates lately. I got sme Medjool to compare, I prefer Barhi, a preference which was reinforced after my recent comparison. Barhi are more like caramel in both texture and flavor:

4 Likes