What fruits did you eat today?

Fully ripened mangoes can be excellent in texture, flavor and aroma. Not every fully ripened variety reaches that excellence, either.

Mangoes here, like other fruit, need to be picked earlier for a shipping purpose.

Florida and a few stares can grow mangoes but they can’t duplicate tropical climate or hot, arid Egypt.

A mango season season in Thailand is from May - August. If you ever want to take a trip there.:grin:

3 Likes

180 bucks to find out Florida can’t grow decent mangos. I’ve done worse…lol

Very little chance I’ll ever be in Thailand, India, or Egypt and if I were I’d find some lousy mangos. I couldn’t find a salmon in Alaska either.

5 Likes

I wish we had discussed the varieties before you order. It’s still fairly early but even Florida mangoes can be excellent! There are some very interesting varieties bred recently like Lemon Zest, that are great. Dr Campbell farm in Homestead sells decent ones.

2 Likes

I’d be really surprised if you can’t find good mangos in Florida. I haven’t bought any myself online or when I was down there. With so many accounts, I thought it’d be easy. Didn’t @ramv mention a place he thought was good in FL? I also remember reading @fruitgrower visiting a few places in FL this year to taste some good ones. May be they can point to good places to try?

Now, how would they compare against your best nectarines? That’s hard to say, but I’d pay to watch that episode on weird fruit explorer youtube channel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fruitnut,
I will think of you when I eat mangoes in Thailand.

I used to think all nectarines were awful (hard and too sour). Even after I grew Easternglo myself, it was still too tart for me. Arctic Star was good as a sweet white nectarine.

It was not until my Freckle Face gave fruit that I realized what an excellent nectarine tasted like.

You produce excellent quality fruit. You are entitled to set a high standard :grin:

4 Likes

The best Florida mangoes will likely beat any nectarine — atleast to my taste buds. This includes several Zill varieties as well as Indian varieties like Kesar and Mallika. All were quite incredible. I got fruit from a collector there.

The drought helps the strawberry sweetened up but on a small size.

15 Likes

I’ve been trying some store bought berries and I have to say I’m impressed. Driscoll’s rosé strawberries and “sweetest batch” strawberries are actually really good. Even better than the varieties they have at my local pick your own places. These are actually less acidic so they taste much sweeter.

Other than that, I’ve been enjoying the few fall gold raspberries each day that I got from the plant I got last year. The last of the berries have been picked now, but my yellow Ann or or cascade gold is now blooming on the primocanes.

2 Likes

My daughter sent me a pic of one of her fall gold raspberries loaded with ripe fruit… some really nice sized berries. She was so happy.

It is a plant that I propagated from my patch and took to her.

I have one myself that is producing a early fall crop… may be another week before I get ripe berries.

Yesterday I had strawberries, a few of my last remaining blueberries… tomatoes and okra from my gardens

TNHunter

1 Like

My perpetua blueberries just started blooming again!
A follow up to my comment about driscolls strawberry. Those sweetest batch and rose are hands down the best I’ve ever eaten! Also these mini grapes we bought (don’t have the package anymore :rage:). I haven’t had a chance to try the flavorfest strawberry plants I just got, but hopefully I can get a taste next season.

Peaches and more peaches. Now I wish I had a second peach tree. One with Free stone peaches. Easier to slice!

2 Likes

My Glohaven did the same thing this year. I picked both of the small fruits even though only one was ripe. The ripe one was very good at 17 brix.

8 Likes

I went to SFO airport today to pick up a friend. The flight was quite delayed, so I was walking in a park nearby when I noticed a tiny vineyard planted on the backside of the Marriot.

There were a few varieties but this one caught my attention. I think this is concord

Punchy labrusca flavor with slip skin and seeds. I was trying to find one labrusca variety to grow with similar flavor but with edible skin and seedless. I tried Thomcord and Mars, but neither of them have the strong flavor. I am trying Everest now. After tasting this, I might have to bite the bullet and just grow the good old concord and accept the skin/seeds as small inconvenience for the great flavor that makes me think of the grapes I had in childhood, which might be considered too strong and unrefined now.

4 Likes

Try seedless Concord.

1 Like

Thanks Tony. I did try grafting it this season but it didn’t take. Does it have the same flavor as concord but without seeds? I read conflicting reports about that.

No, they taste different, the seedless concord has less/hint of concord flavor. I would recommend Niabell which is also called California concord. It has strong concord’s flavor, slip skin texture, and the fruits are bigger than concord’s. Regular concord fruits are just too smaller for me.

1 Like

Are muscadines best to be eaten straight after picking or a day or two later?

4 Likes

Mine have tasted about the same at those times.

I have noticed they taste a little different if stored in the fridge, so I try to let mine sit out a while before eating them.

Nice looking muscadines!

Flavortop Nectarines - I don’t know the brix, but total sugar bombs. Eating a dozen per day. Hundreds total.

8 Likes

Today i had ripe peaches from my double white peach tree. Double white peach is listed a flowering peach and i haven’t seen any info about any fruits. And, this year it had lots of fruit . I tasted on today. the fruit was medium-size yellow color skin and soft flesh and more acid than sweet. nonetheless edible and punch of flavor. I would say its an average peach. Sorry no photos my baby ate it so quickly!

2 Likes