What fruits did you eat today?

One of the Asian Groceries near me. Remind me in winter and if they still have I can ship some.

1 Like

Ate a red aster apple and a Bevans favorite.

Bevans favorite

The red aster was very small and actually a bit mealy. The Bevans favorite on the other hand seemed like it needed a bit more time. Last year i picked them July 15 and I was a bit late.

It was medium size, red stripes that reminded me of St Lawrence apples over a field of gold. Good combination of sweet and enough tart to keep it interesting. Nice early apple!

As always my lab Katie was in on the tasting. When I don’t toss her an apple or a core that’s on the ground, she grabs it in her mouth and tossrs it up in the air to herself and catches it!

2 Likes

Black Diamond watermelon imo is the best hands down.

10 Likes

I want some!

2 Likes

My Grosse Mignon white peaches. Some became a pieProcessing: F17D5103-87B4-421E-B1BA-108FAC1DFC3C.jpeg...
Uploading: 836D754E-8FDD-4B78-8630-46C5C62EF11E.jpeg…

Today my MIL found a local grower selling a very late ripening mango. The grower planted a few seeds of Molgova, which is a great mid-season variety and this one turned out to be late. It has the same features but with a smaller size and late ripening.

It has the characteristic bumpy skin and sweet aroma. I realize, may be more than other fruits, the aroma (along with sweetness and texture) makes the mango more enjoyable.

6 Likes

My white peaches are very sweet and tasty this year due to the drought condition.

Tony

10 Likes

Tony, are you still growing water chestnuts? A colleague gave me a couple tubers about a month ago, and they are not thriving. I have them in soil, submerged about 4" below the waterline in a water garden pot with duckweed. The leaves turn brown at the tips and eventually seem to die back. Just wondering what I’m doing wrong. :neutral_face:

Fig

9 Likes

Went on a hike in the White Mountains and found some moxie plums, alpine bilberry, and lingonberry. It was really great to taste these wild treats.

7 Likes

if you look around Cadillac mtn. on Acadia this time of year, there are lingons, crowberry and bilberry. werent far from the parking lot either. im thinking no one that saw them knew what they were. just had a slice of still warm black currant crumble with vanilla ice cream. was on par if not better than raspberry crumble i usually make. its a keeper!

2 Likes

Mexican Kent mangos have arrived in NY. They are large and 98 cents at Walmart.

4 Likes

I’m visiting California, and a friend grew these. He says he’s overwhelmed with them right now.

5 Likes

Pomelo’s that don’t develop are usely sour, I use a half for juice with a t spoon of honey first thing in the morning. Like that better than lemon. Something like sweet and sour.
I always looking forward to pomelo’s in season, love those!

1 Like

Kiwi and Cutie, for the first time I bought some citrus from Costco.

Hello, Moose did your Adirondack gold ever set fruit? My Prunus mandshurica trees grow good here. Got the first few fruits last summer. Prunus armenia does not do good here, usually dies pretty fast. I also have a Brookcot that is growing well. I bit the bullet and ordered a 100 Brianna apricot seeds from Oikos Tree Crops this fall, we will see how those do (P. siberica x P. armenia). I also ordered a Adirondack gold from St. Lawrence. Do you believe it is an apricot? I have heard some people speculate it is an Ussuri plum.

this is my new name now. nope. the record -40 we got last winter killed it and it never came back from the roots. it was a good size too. also killed my northrop mulberry but has since sprouted to 5ft. from the roots. i have a black ice plum i planted last spring. im going to graft some cold hardy apricots to it instead.

Sorry to hear that Steve. :disappointed: It seem like quite a few people have grown. A.G, but I haven’t heard of any getting fruit from it. Glad to here the Mulberry pulled through for you.

1 Like

mine was covered with blooms for 2 springs but never set a apricot.

Pomelo’s and mandarins still.