What fruits did you eat today?

Can I ask where you got your greengage tree from? I got mine from one green world. It was little more than a whip with 1 side branch.

1 Like

@3Secondchances i got my green gage plum from local nursery in Lynnwood. In the label name “Green gage” but no specify detail which type of Green Gage.

1 Like

Green Gage is the name of the variety.

1 Like

Sumo mandarin.

1 Like

Pomerack the favorite rose apple in trinidad and tobago.

6 Likes

Some kind of purple plum from Korean supermarket, pretty good plum so far, pretty juicy.

Angelcots.They were sweet but that’s about it.I was expecting more flavor.

7 Likes

Well, i only nibbled at the fruit, but my sister picked her red currants a week ago, and i went over yesterday and picked the late ones, and i made jelly. A big bowl of currants yielded 4 cups of juice, and this is maybe 5 or 6 cups of jelly. I tried cooking it to 219F instead of pouring out spoonfuls to see if it would jell. I haven’t tried it, yet, but I’m optimistic.

(4 cups juice, 3 cups cane sugar, cook, skimming off any scum that forms, when it reaches 219F, pour into bottles. Currants have a lot of pectin, and i don’t add any.)

4 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b hey there, i see you grow Jonathan apples and im wondering how difficult it is? I absolutely love that apple, probably my favorite, but im afraid to grow it due to its supposed disease problems. I do not spray my trees, i live in Virginia at 2k elevation. Thanks for any advice! Also, i know there are different strains of jonathan and that might be a factor…

You might try Jonafree as it’s a more disease resistant grandchild of Jonathan. I believe it’s written up in Tom Burford’s book. It is popular with the deer food crowd so it must be really disease resistant. Not quite as acid as Jonathan according to the breeder release.

It’s out the Co-op PRI scab resistant program from the late '70s. Although it is like some of the early releases in that program in that it has lost some its scab resistance in commercial spray programs.

Very cool I wouldn’t even know what those were or if they were edible. One time I was fishing up at Crystal Lakes in Washington and stumbled on some little white strawberries that were so good. :blush:

2 Likes

Mandarine oranges

Pomelo and Asian Apple both very tasty.

Hey Paulie, actually I don’t grow Jonathan, those pics were from an orchard visit a few years ago. I do grow several varieties but don’t have that one. I do like Jonathan but have avoided trying to grow them as they are supposedly fireblight susceptible.

Right now I have nine somewhat mature trees, planted 7-8 years ago, but haven’t had but maybe a half bushel harvested off of all of them. Late freezes, but mostly squirrels have prevented us from getting much of anything. Unfortunately I’ve lost eight apple trees that were planted with those due to rodents/root disease/insects.

I did plant some more trees a couple years ago which were grafts I did myself years earlier, but they aren’t close to bearing age yet.

1 Like

Has anyone farther north than Warmwax had any success with Gurneys’Honey Pearls nectacots? So far I have a zero track record with fruiting any varieties of apricots after years of trying. I am just east of St. Paul.

1 Like

Raspberries

3 Likes

i tried june plums for the first time today, not mine, from a nursery, and it was sour and had a weird aftertaste, i was not fond of the aftertaste but i do like sour fruit, one day i hope to try jocote (spondias purpurea) which i was told tastes a lot better.

3 Likes

I took the last Claygate apple to share with friends, since I planted Claygate at their orchard. It was still good, although the texture & flavors had mellowed to the point where I think I will expect to use it up by January 20 in years to come. It probably would keep much longer east of the Mississippi River.

1 Like

Grocery store haul. The bigger dragon fruit was a pretty bland. Excited to try the tiny Thai bananas, anyone know the best way to judge ripeness for eating?

3 Likes

From my experience, Thai bananas generally taste best when they are mostly black with little yellow remaining on the peel.

2 Likes