What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

In this moment just oranges like bahia and moro, and tamarillos too! :yum:

1 Like

Guava and grapefruit, cant wait for loquats in spring!

2 Likes

Apple cake baked with apples from my orchard.

8 Likes

Hi @SteveM ! Is Sauzee king melting or non-melting? Cling or Free stone? Thanks!

Not eating but juicing. You get a decent second crop if you obsessively hand-pollinate late summer (and yes, I did!) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Non-melting and clingstone. So far (two seasons producing), I’m not a big fan of this fruit. The texture is rubbery.

2 Likes

My paw paw gave me 30 fruit
I let it drop to ground so
I can have paw paw ripe different times

I left the paw paw in the back of my car
So cause bruise and therefore to ripe the fruit

It gave a nice smell in car

1 Like

Thank you! The flesh is orange/yellow/white? I’m sure I’ll never come across this tree since I am in Can…I am just curious! I was doing some research on peaches yesterday and discovered there was a nectarine that was completely green “Honeydew” and one that was comepletely red (with red flesh) “Nectavigne”. I think they are only available in Europe (not sure). Fun to look at!

1 Like

White.

Carriere hawthorn. Also known as good tasting, nearly free heart medicine, that you can pick from your tree in January. If anyone wants to do a hawthorn scion exchange, please let me know.
John S
PDX OR

I don’t know how reliable this list is for my sense of taste, but I have the tejocote hawthorn from Mexico and can get douglasii, the native from here. Tejocote tastes just like the carriere hawthorn. Douglasii is ok and even pretty. It’s purple. I wouldn’t grow it for the flavor, although I’m sure the heart medicine is just as good.

Edible Hawthorns

• C. arnoldiana. A tree to 7 metres tall, the fruit is juicy and sweet.
  • C. baroussana. A shrub to about 2 metres, the fruit is not quite as nice as the species above. This plant is probably only hardy in southern England.
  • C. douglasii. Growing up to 9 metres tall, the fruit is similar to C. arnoldiana.
  • C. ellwangeriana. Up to 6 metres tall, with very similar fruit to C. arnoldiana.
  • C. festiva. Growing 3 - 4 metres tall, the fruit is one of the best in the genus.
  • C. pensylvanica. A tall shrub to 9 metres tall, it always seems to produce heavy crops of very tasty fruits.
  • C. schraderiana. A tree to 6 metres tall, this is one of my favourite fruits. When fully ripe it almost literally melts in the mouth.

C. tanacetifolia. Growing up to 10 metres tall, the fruit is yellow in colour and rather like a very rich apple in flavour

John S
PDX OR

Fukushu Kumquat!

Having never tasted a kumquat and wanting to try growing citrus I purchased a small Fukushu Kumquat from Four Winds Growers last spring. It grew well and flowered twice last summer with the second round yielding 23 fruit which started ripening in November.

They are mostly orange now with just a hint of green and after looking at them this morning I just had to have a taste. I was a bit apprehensive on whether I would like them or not. They’re said to have sour pulp and sweet rinds. (Yes, the rind is eaten too.) That description is correct. The pulp was slightly sour, maybe like an orange or mandarin that comes up short on sweetness, but the rind was pleasantly sweet with an orange zest like flavor. The combination of the pulp and rind is a really good combination.

My apprehension quickly melted away and I’m looking forward to many years of tasty kumquats!

Oh, I’m in zone 7b and have kept the plant in a small greenhouse since November. The temperature is maintained above freezing, shooting for upper 30s F at night and maxing out at 75 F on warm days.

Every time I see or hear the word “kumquat” I’m reminded of an old movie I saw as a child in which W.C. Fields plays a grocery store owner who has some trouble with a customer trying to buy kumquats. Here’s a link to the scene with the kumquat customer.

https://youtu.be/y189-69cQPs

7 Likes

I’m growing Meiwa kumquats, but they aren’t old enough to bear fruit yet.
JOhn S
PDX OR

My kumquat are still green, some started to turn yellow. I had Fukushu before, it’s on the sour side. Meiwa is considered the sweetest kumquat.
51 kumquats total on a foot and half tall potted plant.

9 Likes

This morning its russian mulberry cobbler:

7 Likes

Good tasting larger selected hawthorns and medlars from the tree and storage apples, plus many vegies like leeks and dandelions.
John S
PDX OR

I’ve not tried baking with them. How are the stems? Are they noticeable?

Quite appropriately, Christmas crabapple.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Every morning I take sliced nectarines and blueberries out of bags in my freezer to add to my breakfast. For the last two months I’ve been adding a couple tablespoons of plum sauce (so beautiful).

This year I discovered what an amazing addition Ruby Queen is to plum sauce. Just a few of them in the mix make the sauce beautifully deep purple. Other plums in my sauce are European and the skins aren’t enough to achieve this level of beautiful, deep purple as their flesh is amber. Ruby Queen is more deeply colored than Elephant heart or Methely and uniquely suited to creating a beautiful sauce.

I wish I’d frozen more of my Ruby Queens, but I didn’t value them as much this year because they didn’t get up great sugar. By the time I started making sauce it was too late.

1 Like

Duchess D’ Angoulme pear today and every day.