What pears are quince compatible?

Not sure specifically about Quince A, but Cummins sells Quince and Raintree sells Quince Province BA 29C.

1 Like

Thanks @Stan at $3.75 per rootstock they seem very reasonable for small orders https://shop.cumminsnursery.com/shop/rootstocks/rootstocks

Any info with quince on pear rootstock?

1 Like

So far the quince are doing fine grafted to improved kieffer.

1 Like

I got Quince A roots from Lawyer’s, they were pretty weak and more expensive than most other clonal rootstock they sell.

1 Like

@JesseS
How are the rootstocks doing?

Update : the quince grafted to kieffer did fail in All cases after a couple years. The old saying is true which is that pear can be grafted to quince but quince cannot be grafted long term to pears.

3 Likes

All survived fine, some I grafted upon receiving them are now ready to get out of nursery, others from 2015 from Lawyers (RIP😯) were planted out blank, all survived and now 2.5 years later are nicely established, 1/2" caliper. I plan to top work them next spring to fruiting quince, and think they will push some nice enough growth to produce saleable whips in one season. Also thinking to propagate some of the wood, by rooting some of the cuttings. I also have some older A stock that I plan to start stool beds with, and some cold hardy selections(grafted on A)) from GRIN that I want to try rooting. So far I’ve been using these just for cydonia fruiting selections, maybe I will try some pear(Magness) or make an interstem on 97 with a few… if you want any wood, let me know.

2 Likes

I have a small tree of Harvest Queen on Quince from Cummins. It’s been in the ground for a year or two and seems okay.

2 Likes

I grafted 10 Pear to Quince I ordered from Cummins spring’18. I didn’t check compatibility before grafting but was aware some may not be viable. Buerre Bosc, German A, and Summer Crisp failed. Grafts that took, with various degrees of vigor, are : Luscious, Moonglow, Patten, Spartlett, Summer Blood, 21st Century, and Winter Nellis. I have grafted these to OHxF87 and OHxF97 as well and a few to OHxF333. It will be interesting to see how they do through the winter in the nursery bed in my cold climate.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/20721500/catalogs/pyrcompatible.html

1 Like

Anyone growing Sucre de Montlucon that is quince compatible? per ARS GRIN
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1223424

"Found in a hedge in Montlucon, France, about 1812, by M. Rochet. Fruit medium, oval-conic, uneven, lemon-yellow; stem medium long, rather short and woody; calyx large, closed, in a narrow, shallow basin; flesh palest yellow, transparent, extremely juicy, well flavored, very delicious; Oct. – U.P. Hedrick, The Pears of New York, 1921.

A pure green pear, oval-conic in shape, growing in clusters if not thinned. The white flesh is very juicy, buttery and has the lightly acidulous and delicately perfumed flesh for which Bunyard could say, ‘a very delicious fruit, worthy of cultivation.’ Ripens late October. – Robert Nitschke, Southmeadow Fruit Gardens Catalog, 1976. "

Does the quince rootstock lose its dwarfing effect if an interstem is Used ? Read that on this forum wish to confirm.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith may be able to tell you if some types of pears lose their dwarfing ability all together. In my experienve you can interstem anything but some trees are larger on dwarfs than others in general.

1 Like

I hope quince will dwarf as an interstem, here is my second leaf quince that will be interstem material next spring

2 Likes

I think overall you will get a dwarfing effect with quince interstem. A vigorous scion will be dwarfed but less than a low vigor one. I haven’t tried this combination but this has been the case with others that I have tried.

1 Like

I assume you mean quince root - compatible pear interstem - incompatible pear scion… in that setup the pear scion will be fully dwarfed since the underlying root is a dwarf. This was confirmed by half a dozen of these I did.

… This reminds me that I am going to graft some stuff on quince soon, and I forgot to look up whether I need to interstem them or not. … @clarkinks I just found the list of compatible pears you posted, thanks for that ! One is compatible (Urbaniste) and I can use that wood to interstem the other that is not (Winter Nelis).

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, yes that is what I meant quince rootstock- quince compatible pear as an interstem- and quince incompatible pear as Scion.

1 Like

i am growing a quince root stock but i planned on using seedling rootstock and then putting the quince scion in as an interstem then grafting desired pear variety on top. Will the quince interstem not dwarf the desired pear?

2 Likes

This was what had me worried. I specially ordered some Beurre Hardy scionwood to be used as interstem. Will have to try other cultivars I guess

1 Like

What interstem would you recommend for Barttlet on Quince?

1 Like