What's Happening Today 2021

48 pints of Bread-n-Butter today:

11 Likes

Ate the last 3 apricots

1 Like

Second Apple. This one fell from tree and had ants around the stem. This one is Hunge. It might not be quite ripe enough. Sweet but sharp. I can’t wait to get a ripe one. This Apple is supposed to have a “winey” flavor and sure enough—-apple cider!

11 Likes

Coloration is beautiful

2 Likes

Hunge has been an excellent variety for me: early, pest-resistant, prolific, reliable, and tasty. Good for fresh eating and for cooking, too.

2 Likes

I knew nothing about growing apples but it was recommended to me as a good pollinator for Bramley’s and one that grows well in the south and disease resistant. It’s going to be a good one!

2 Likes

Checked on my pumpkins patch today. This one grows from blossom to its current size in 4 days!

16 Likes

Oh I want a jar! I cannot find; pickling cucumbers in France only the tiny cornichons. They might have to do!

1 Like

I would not have expected that !

I’m starting to see some brown rot on my Emerald Beaut/Emerald Drop fruit despite alternating sprays of Indar and Infuse. Surrounding plums/pluots do not seem effected so far and include Flavor Queen, Flavor King, Nadia, Splash, Laroda, and Satsuma.

Has anyone found Emerald Beaut/Drop to be more susceptible to brown rot than others?

2 Likes

Made some Sweet and Spicy Zucchini relish today. Good, tasty way to use up some zucchinis.

12 Likes

I’m visiting a friend in Seattle and find it amazing that there are plum trees growing untended and fruiting well. This would not be going on where I live in Pennsylvania. Too many plum curculio and birds everywhere…

It looks like some sort of Euro plum with invasive blackberries all around it.

18 Likes

Yum!!!

1 Like

The most common type around Seattle are Italian prunes, and yes they grow like weeds! But not as much as the actual weeds in the photo (Himalayan blackberries).

You arrived just in time for the first hint of rain we’ve had in a month and a half, did you bring it from Pennsylvania for us?

4 Likes

A beautiful combination. Who would love those two fruits going wild in their yard?

4 Likes

@Mpigg with our spring frosts freezing early bloom fruit often in the prairie climate is your Zestar pretty dependable there in texas in spite of its early bloom time? What early bloom pollinator do you have for it?

@maineorchard what is your spacing between rows, and tree spacing apart for your peaches in your pictures? Very nice!

1 Like

Blackberries are weeds out there

1 Like

15 feet between trees and 20 feet between rows.

2 Likes

My first green gage plum. They are so soft and sweet. This tree is 5 and I have been so excited to try it but I wouldn’t say I love the flavor but I still love the idea of growing them.

10 Likes

Thanks! I have my orchard gridded at 25 ft between rows and 20 ft between trees but I was debating doubling up and making the trees 10 ft between rows. But I might should just keep it the 20 ft… Or change spacing to 15 ft in that area… Hmm. Thanks!