What's Happening Today 2021

I had one plum on my Green Gage this year and it was getting pretty good size. It disappeared….I don’t know if it dropped or because deer dinner. Next year maybe.

2 Likes

I have Aztec Fuji, pink lady, and sweet sixteen. Pollination and early bloom haven’t seemed to be a problem

2 Likes

Oh ok sounds good! Yeah if we can be ok in spite of most spring frosts thats a good thing! :slight_smile:

I thought the Independence nects were supposed to ripen in July. Still clutching the tree.

Picked all Shiro today. It can hang on the tree for few more days but I am worried about animals might want to help picking

13 Likes

To me, plums have three flavors: almost ripe, ripe and over ripe. The latter is for making jam, they are almost too sweet and I don’t like the mushyness. Was it a little over ripe?

3 Likes

I would say if anything it was under ripe. I just don’t like super soft fruit. I like pluots and green peaches. So even though I could hardly wait to try them, I knew it was a stretch that I would enjoy them. My wife thought it was great though.

2 Likes

They sure would!

1 Like

My Shiro wouldn’t still be firm when that orange.

My shiro stays firm (not soft like a sack of water ) even it turns into translucent. It it very juicy and tender but its still hold its shape when ripe.

Picking nectarines. First year ever for a bountiful, sound crop of fruit.

Drought and Indar get the credit.

8 Likes

Which variety?

Stopped at a fresh fruit stand to see what I could expect at the Marché tomorrow. The Reine Claudes and first Un-named Mirabelles are just starting to come in. I will take pics tomorrow!

2 Likes

Mericrest

2 Likes

This is a post to say to Ahmad that the variety of nect I am picking now is Mericrest, which this benighted system doesn’t want to let me do

1 Like

How is the taste?

Sublime - it’s a nectarine

I can’t really tell if it’s a low-acid variety or not, tho. I can’t discern acid.

4 Likes

Love this phrase! That’s how I think of good nectarines, they are the perfect fruit!

I checked my Contender peach tree counted 3 fruits hanging there. They look spotless, I only sprayed once with a triazicide/immunox mix. I should probably bag them. They’d be my first peaches. I was thinking maybe I should have gotten different peaches, hopefully I’ll find out that I like what I planted in a few weeks. I have a few Shenandoah pawpaws growing as well in the partial shade, the Sunflower fruits disappeared. That’s all I’ve got for non-berries for now. Still waiting on apples and pears.

3 Likes

went to the grocery store tonight they had yellowish strawberries with a blush called Rose. anyone ever hear of or tried them? if they werent $2.00 more than the reg. ones i would have.