Which trees will you plant in 2019?

Rome Beauty, and on rare occasions, Jonathan, will have red streaking.
I’ve heard of others. Can’t remember. I have a small (very small) Williams Pride tree, but no fruit for a couple more years. Same with Red Devil…which I understand is streaked and not solid red.

1 Like

The Rome Beauties I had years ago did have some red streaking, at times. I had forgotten about that one. TY.

2 Likes

@MikeC
This may be a good resource for red fleshed apples .
Hocking Hills Cabins, Four Seasons Cabins in the Hocking Hills
Can’t personally recommend ( but I , guess I just did)
Hope to visit them soon, as they are close.
Lots of red flesh apples.!

3 Likes

TY for the information. This place is actually pretty close to me.

2 Likes

So that means ,we are close as well …
So we will also visit ?
Sometime ?

1 Like

That is indeed a fine apple resource for both red-fleshed varieties and many others, operated by @derekamills. He’s supplied me with a lot of excellent hard-to-find scionwood over the last few years.

3 Likes

Some of mine came from there…if he can fill more than 50% of what I order, I’ll brag on him next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmmm, that is an odd statement! I tell people up front I grow my trees for fruit production, not to sell scions, and only take limited amounts from my trees. And the earlier someone requests something and pays for it or swaps for it the more likely they are to have their order filled.

I do the best I can as a one man show with 1,400 varieties of apples and thousands of apple trees not to mention pears, grapes, peaches, cherries and other assorted odd fruit.

And I try to make sure as many people as possible get rare and unusual varieties by limiting them to two cuttings of each variety. That way if I am only wanting to take 20 cuttings from a certain rare or unusual variety then it gets sent out to 10 to 20 people.

8 Likes

@derekamills
Yah.
"A " person can only do so much !

You have a VERRY ! Impressive sounding collection .
Good job !

Like I said , hope to meet you and visit sometime.
Hillbillyhort

2 Likes

thanks and come visit. Our UPic this week is on Saturday from 11 until 4.

2 Likes

Out of my 1,400 varieties of apples just over 200 are red fleshed. How old was the orchard where these trees grew? Knowing the approximate age of the trees can eliminate quite a few varieties. If it is an old tree in an old orchard, depending on the season, I would guess Winesap. I have a half dozen or so different Winesaps and Original Winesap apples will display that attribute sometimes.

1 Like

Do you remember when the apple rippens? Discovery is ripe mid August here and often has a little red flesh near the peel.

3 Likes

These apples ripened close to September and the orchard was older. It had been there for about 12-15 years before I moved there.

2 Likes

My guesstimate is that it is one of the Winesap strains. Odds are it is not going to be something obscure like Strawberry Parfait (not a great tasting apple here in SE Ohio) or Discovery (a great one) but something more easily obtained like Winesap.

I realize this post was from awhile ago, just curious how your Franklin cider tree is doing? Any disease issues?

1 Like

So far so good. It’s really just been getting settled in this year and I’m doing my best to keep it alive with the drought we’re having. I’ll try to remember to post about it in the future.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply

1 Like