Which trees will you plant in 2019?

I’ve heard good things about lane. Darlene is on my short list for #10 variety. Has anyone tried Southern Home. I’m still on the fence on that one.

TFN

1 Like

@Auburn and I think @Richard has Southern home.

I have
Lane … really really good
Supreme. … fantastic
Darlene. … have only tasted and were very good. Not reported to be the best producer but excellent taste.
Fry. … vigorous. Sweet. Just okay taste for me
Triumph. … my favorite bronze and maybe all time favorite. Has complex sweet taste. “Winey”
4 unknown. … (mislabeled) blacks that are supposedly Cowart and Black Beauty.
Ison. … first year/no fruit yet

If I put in a new trellis it will be Lane and Supreme. Paulk is interesting…

Peaches, plums, pears, apples (young trees), jujubes, persimmons, mulberries, figs, pomegranates, blackberries, strawberries, asparagus, usual garden veggies.

So far my 2019 list is

Alcalde #1 jujube but I’m thinking hard every day for my wish list! :smiley:

Katy

I like Lane a lot! I like Supreme even more but will keep Lane for a pollinator for sure.

Katy

2 Likes

@Auburn and I have a few threads on the subject. Just search :mag_right: on Southern Home.

1 Like

Well, I just showed my wife a picture of peach blossoms and got her blessing to put a peach and nectarine tree in the front yard. I’m surprised this is all it took. The neighbors have non-fruiting flowering trees. Why not get something that looks just as nice, if not better, that actually gives you something useful in return?

Now I should probably try and settle on two patented varieties, and for variety/continuous harvest plan to graft non-patented varieties onto the trees as I go.

2 Likes

There are some awesome cultivars that have been off-patent for a decade or more you should consider as primary trees.

I’m very open to suggestions.

I was kind of excited about the Honey series of nects. Honey Royale and Blaze in particular. Looking them up, to my surprise Blaze should already be off-patent as of this year and Royale will be off in a few years. Drew’s favorite nect, Arctic Glo, is also already on my want list.

1 Like

Hey, Bradybb, thanks for the offer . I only have space for 1 plum at the moment, but I really want the Lavina, but Barkslip has offered me a Howard’s Miracle. Let me get with the Boss, I’m sure She will let me dig one more hole. Lol I will get back with you soon one way or the other. I need to research Howards Miracle Plum. From what I’ve read it is a shy bearer, but huge fruit.

Thanks, again

TFN

2 Likes

Thanks, Richard, good read. Still on the fence though. decisions…decisions…

TFN

1 Like

Ison’s is the premier source for muscadines. I recommend reading their muscadine info. Southern Home is an older cultivar and they have newer developments, including seedless.

I have 3 figs in pots to plant out in the spring, Two Poms that I need to move to a better location. I’m looking for Jujubes and Mulberries. I have a few blueberries, and an arbor with young kiwis growing up it… Paulk should be available soon. I want one real baaad. Triumph is another one on my short list. Is it a large berry?

TFN

1 Like

Isons’s is just up the road from me (50 miles). I have been visiting their web site more times than I want to admit, and have emailed them with a few questions… nice people, they always respond. I guess, I need to take a ride and talk to them in person… Seedless Muscadines sound good, but almost seems like going against nature. Just don’t seem right. Lol.

TFN

2 Likes

This website was really great when I went to pick my varieties:

http://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/

1 Like

It’s fairly large. Grapes were larger last year on my two year old vine than this year, BUT this was a horrible drought year…I even pulled back on fertilizer some because it was difficult to keep them watered as much as they needed. So my Triumph grapes were not quite as large as they should be. Excellent taste and very sweet. And it is a pollinator.

Katy

Thanks, chadspur, very informative, may make my decisions easier.

TFN

Howard’s Miracle is my best tasting plum, it actually tastes more like a tropical fruit than plum. I don’t know how HM will do in your climate, but for me it’s a regular and heavy producer. The fruit size depends on the set — some years it’s a lot of smaller fruits and other years it’s a smaller amount of larger fruits. I guess on average the total weight of all fruits produced by the tree is about the same. For me, HM has an extremely long ripening season — from early July to early-mid September. You never have a lot of fruits at once, but a few almost every day for a couple of months. Need to protect them against birds and other pests, so I keep the tree netted from when the fruits just start to ripen (mid-late June) and until I pick the last fruit in September. Next Spring, I will plant another HM tree near my first one, I need more of these plums! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the info, Stan. I had never heard of Howard’s Miracle Until yesterday, now it sounds like a must have for my little orchard. I’ll work one in somewhere…

TFN

@Richard suggested looking into older varieties for the “mother” tree, but I found one that’s only 5 years into patent that looks like a great choice: nectafest. Some sources suggested it may be bacterial spot-immune, but others say it has low susceptibility. I’ll have to assume that it is slightly susceptible, which still makes it great for a nectarine. Ripens with some of the unpatented nectarines that I’m also interested in (Arctic Glo, Honey Blaze), but I can live with that. This is the only nectarine that Rutgers listed as “grower friendly”.

For the peach, I’m leaning towards John Boy. It’s a sport of Loring that fruits a couple of weeks early, so I can get this and graft on Contender and Red Haven (or maybe Glenglo or GaLa) to ensure I’m loaded with peaches in between the end of the blueberry season (for me, I’m planning around SWD) and the time when the apples start coming in.

1 Like

I would also like to try a couple Carmine Jewel bush cherries. Do you think they will do well here… west central Ga. zone 8a/ b …hot humid summers cold damp winters?

TFN

My list is more or less firmed out.

Nectafest nectarine on Lovell, Contender peach on Lovell, GoldRush apple on g.202, Crimson Crisp apple on g.202, Honeycrisp apple (rootstock not figured out yet, either g.202 or g.935), Harrow Sweet pear on Pyro 2-33, Potomac pear on OHxF 87. I think this should mostly be it with regards to large trees for the foreseeable future. Additional varieties of these fruits can be grafted on. Of course, I might be tempted to order a Jujube or something next year, but I think I’ll focus more on smaller things like grapes or berries.

2 Likes