Which trees will you plant in 2019?

Contender & Red Haven on Lovell. These are replacements for peach trees we’ve lost over the summer. Seems like planting replacement peach trees is becoming an annual ritual for me unfortunately…such is life of a Northern peach grower.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that? How did you loose them? Disease or lack of cold hardiness? Also, what percentage of your trees did you loose?

Still need to be narrowed down but the contenders are currently:

Plum: Shiro Plum (with a plan to graft two varieties onto it next year) OR Weeping Santa Rosa Plum

Persimmon: Tan Kam OR Jiro OR Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro

Fig: Smith, Florea, Improved Celeste and RdB Brown Turkey

Gooseberry bush: Poorman (If I can find the space)

Update: For plums I’m thinking of getting a Shiro and grafting onto it, possibly Satsuma and Spring Satin.

For Persimmons it seems like Tan Kam is the hardiest of the bunch and I’m on the border of not needing to winterize it in 7a/7b, so that will be the pick

3 Likes

I got a Bay Laurel catalog in the mail, lots of enticing items in there. But, it looks like I’m done with any more trees. If I get anything else it might be a few berry plants. I might try some grafting, but buying any more trees are out. I did 3 apple bench grafts in March, and they have been in pots since April, so I have to find a place for them on the farm this fall.

We have about 30 fruit trees, and about 27 various berry plants, in addition to my strawberry patch, which after they runnered out this year, may be close to 75 by now.

I have been derelict with the maintenance of some of my trees and plants, and that was while I’ve been semi-retired. When I go back to work, I’m barely going to have time to tend to them, plus the gardens and yard work. So, I’m tapping out!

Seriously.

I mean really.

:grin:

7 Likes

Apparently Bay Laurel is the only place that sells Independence nectarine on Citation, so I placed my order

Did you get their catalog too? It is very basic, just black and white print with no pictures. It was good to see that their prices and shipping costs appear to be the same.

I also got a Lehman’s catalog, some very nice items in there too, but a bit pricey.

Yes, I got it because I’d ordered from them before

I lost few big ones…combo of disease and drought. It’s just hard to classify exactly why a peach tree just withers away. Sudden peach tree death is a fact of life. We are working on an irrigation system for next season.

We have 280 trees of varying ages (1-7 years).

Drought… this year? Summer 2018 is probably the wettest summer since I moved to DE in 2011…

I live on the southern edge of the Adirondacks, just above Utica, NY and have had very dry conditions this year. Southern NY has had the opposite, a very wet year.

Texas is just powder…

Katy

It wasn’t in Dallas Friday night.

This is true. The last few days have been nice and wet!!

I’d go for Florea with the fig and check out the Hinnomaki series of gooseberries rather than the Poorman.

For me Florea figs don’t do the fruit grows and then just pause for weeks before swelling and ripening.

Scott

I was leaning towards Florea because I’ve heard its one of the most cold hardy and early ripening, but I have heard a LOT of positive reviews about Smith so its basically between those two to be honest… or just get both.

For the gooseberries, I already have a Hinnomaki Red but just like the Smith fig Ive heard rave reviews about Poorman so adding that one.

Smith is probably a bad choice for planting in ground in zone 7, reports are it will grow like mad after any cold damage and not set fruit. Hardiness is more a result of how hardened the branches are than variety, though precocious varieties usually stop growing earlier in the year because of the fruit load.

Florea is the earliest and most productive variety I’ve grown. Under the right conditions they can be very sweet. The flavor is kind of floral and earthy, a hint of maple syrup at its best. Good for drying.

1 Like

Any thoughts on Improved Celeste and how it compares to something like Florea?

Also I would like to hear your thoughts on LSU Tiger / Purple if you have them.

I plan to plant three more Jefferson filberts that was layered this year. Not a tree but I also plan to plant two Hall and one Supreme muscadine.

2 Likes

I want to plant a saijo and wase fuyu persimmon, a couple of J plums, and maybe some of my larger potted figs.

I was just notified that my neighbor will be cutting down her 40 foot fence of 25 feet tall hemlocks by the south side of my house. This will open up a lot more sunny space, protected from wind that I can plant.

4 Likes

So I could use some advice on choosing some trees and bushes because 2019 is likely going to be the culmination of some significant changes in my garden. Originally I had a number of stone fruit in my garden, which was something of a rookie mistake for not only the general region that I live in but my specific micro climate (surprise, European plums and most other stone fruit do not enjoy it when it’s really hot and the dewpoints are in the seventies). Given that I have two young children (one of who is 5 months old) the wife and I have decided to limit our use of chemicals in the yard to a small number (think BT, neem, insecticidal soap, etc.), which really makes it untenable to keep a number of the trees I currently have in the yard.

Because of this I have slowly been moving to persimmons (Rosseyanka, Nikita’s Gift, Inchon, Ichi Kei Jiro and Wase Fuyu) and jujubes (Honey Jar, So and Shanxi Li). My current dilemma is that most of my really sunny spots are taken (no more jujubes) and it probably doesn’t make sense for me to plant anymore persimmons (although I’m really, really tempted to do that).

What has crossed my mind is putting in a few paw paws, persimmons or other generally pest and disease free fruit trees/bushes. What would someone suggest for the spots of the yard that are “full sun” but just barely? How well do persimmons do in partial shade (just shy of full sun)?