Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome!

@clarkinks
So were the Claypool trees in question patented or trademarked under different names? As you know, the latter is a whole other ballgame when it comes to scionwood distribution.

1 Like

@krismoriah

Gurney’s does not use pest control measures required by a half-dozen U.S. states (varies by species) and yet they charge the same or more than suppliers that do. Consequently if you are in a State that they ship to, you are receiving poorly sanitized plants. Their operation meets the derogatory definition of “cheap”.

1 Like

Late season grafts are taking.

These are
Claypool H-118
Claypool A-33

8 Likes

Early golden look great!

7 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The more i look at Elmo 'Claypool A-118' ('Elmo') Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) the more i like it @snowflake

The Elmo Persimmons ripen in October to November. Late ripening fruit would definately compliment early golden in my orchard.

1 Like

@snowflake

We know from this thread Early Golden, H-118, and Meader persimmons are ripened in September in Z5 “Early Golden, H-118, and Meader persimmons” are ripened in September in Z5 and from my own experience eating them here early golden ripen at that time here also. Elmo would really stagger the harvest. Claypool H-118 and Claypool A-33 are others i have besides early golden. This thread says a lot Persimmon Fall Color - #48 by Barkslip .This thread shows the 100-46 ripening in late October 2023 Persimmon Grafting according to 2023 Persimmon Grafting - #332 by mvfd801 which means with a little planning we could eat persimmons for months.

1 Like

My next group of persimmons that need grafted are in a pretty rough area. Many are big and in my microclimate area.

2 Likes

Pawpaw would love it on the bank of that pond.

1 Like

@Robert

The pawpaw are what i created the microclimate for but they are on the south side of the water. The persimmon and pears are on the north side. Pawpaw in Kansas - it's a lot of work but can be done!

This is the orchard on the north. It needs grafted now. This is one of my remote orchards.

3 Likes

Pawpaw are all over the place here, but they really love the rivers and lakes.

Wish I had all those persimmon seedlings you have. We have them everywhere here, just not on my property. I’d graft every one of them.

1 Like

@Robert

A generous forum member recently sent me some very good dormant persimmon scions. Another member sent me some pear scions.
Pear rootstocks are planted everywhere down there.

@Robert

Can you move some persimmon onto your property?

I have plenty, just not volunteers like you have.

1 Like

@Robert

Mine are not volunteers they are planted. If you look closely at the photo they are in rows.

1 Like

This year I expect to be getting fruit from and trying Elmo A118, Early Jewel H118, H63a, Morris Burton, Chuchupaka, Giombo, Kasandra,JT02, Nikita’s gift, Hachiya, Saijo and Suruga.

6 Likes

Do you have any male persimmons? I’ve heard rumors that Chuchupaka needs to be pollinated, but haven’t seen anything definitive. If yours are holding fruit without pollination, that would be pretty promising.

1 Like

No male persimmons in bloom this year. I really hope that isn’t true.
Chuchupaka is absolutely loaded with fruit on a small tree. Maybe around 40 on a tiny tree

9 Likes

Wow, that is loaded! That is promising. I’ve been debating getting a male or dioecious tree set out somewhere, but I haven’t committed. I guess I’ll wait and see what my Chuchupaka does.

1 Like

It is my most vigorous growing variety. By far. And most productive at the same time.
If it holds fruit without pollination, it will be the one to grow.

4 Likes