Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome!

Well said. Seems like a lot of these best lists, either on the web or in some glossy, collection of advertisements masquerading as a magazine, are written via cursory web searches rather than actual, first-hand experience.

2 Likes

I have L-128A. It’s a hugely productive tree. Definitely worth propagating. I try to avoid giving absolute judgements on my persimmons since rootstock has such a significant influence on persimmons. I’ve had amazing samples of C-100 and I-94 at Jerry’s place but on my rootstock, they’re not nearly as nice - less than an hour west of him. Just walked up to the trees this morning and noticed my graft of 100-63M (Male, ½ Juhl, 1/4 Morris Burton, 1/4 George) from Jerry’s work took. Hopefully, will get to use it in some crosses.

3 Likes

I-94 and Valeene Beauty are the same tree. Don Compton got permission from James Claypool to release it under that name. I-94A isn’t a seedling if I-94. James Claypool changed from 10’ centers between trees to 5’ a few rows in. The ‘a’ designation was implemented to maintain some sort of continuity amongst the orchard layout.

6 Likes

that answers my question about why Valene Beauty seemed to be a Don Compton variety while I-94 is from Claypool.

Amazing he was able to grow on 10’ centers even, let alone 5! I guess i feel ok about my plantings. Ive been shooting for 15’ on persimmons but dont always hit the mark. i just set out several at about 11’ o.c.

1 Like

Darrell pointed out to me awhile back that the map has poor data resolution. Sure enough, the table of data in the article only shows a few specimens for some of the states.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks and whew.

1 Like

id guess it depends on climate, site characteristics, and rootstock. The bigger of my two ‘Prok’ trees, both planted about 2008, is less than 15 ft high. Its vigor seems to have declined noticeably, too, perhaps in part because Ive let several of its suckers grow and grafted onto them. its also bearing well, which helps check vigor

@Richard you seemed to suggest a while back that your climate would lead to relatively big trees. Id guess that any persimmon kept at less than 10 ft must bear an awful lot of fruit. Some of them grow horizontally or almosy weeping to begin with. Thats how ‘Szukis’ is. Add a good crop of fruit and a lot of the branches point abruptly down. My two Szukis trees were grafted in 2012 I’d guess. Theyre both under 8 ft tall still

3 Likes

I noticed some states are missing as well. The eastern half of Oklahoma where my wife is from is simply blanketed in persimmons. I have seen large groves of them growing even as far west as an hour west of Tulsa. Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see any samples taken from that state. All the wild ones I have tried from there so far have been tiny-, 1\2" or so, and not particularly good.

I wouldn’t recommend 5’ centers. :wink: They are so limbless, you can’t even get scion off a lot of them anymore - the ones that are left anyway. The easiest to access are the border rows which didn’t grow as tall. I suspect when evaluating that many, the thought was to be unsentimental and cull those not making the cut. I have mine on 20’ centers and that’s a bit too close for vigorous varieties like Prok, Pipher, and 100-47. Active management could no doubt have kept them more manageable.

4 Likes

@parkwaydrive

The video above is several years old. How does Claypool’s orchard on S Main, Saint Elmo, IL. 62458 in Fayette county look now? Is it being well taken care of overall lately?

That’s the one in town (behind a gas station ) where he made his crosses, right? I went there a couple of years ago as I saw in his video with Jerry Lehman that he had Bolton and Woolbright in his breeding collection. Been looking for those two for twenty years, now. Unfortunately, almost all his breeding trees were gone (dozed out). There was a John Rick, Florence, and Killen along the fence row. In the far back, there was a tree labeled ‘University of Virginia’, and in the middle of the lot (now a hair salon), there was a smaller unlabeled tree. I got wood for Florence and Killen, but my Killen graft died. Florence is supposed to put out male flowers and have very small seeds so hoping I can cross that one with some that some point.

5 Likes

I stand corrected.
Claypool records show the same date on both with I-94a having a slight edge.
My apologies

1 Like

@parkwaydrive @Richard

One concern i had is all subsidies ended in 2021 and it should at least show $0 EWG Farm Subsidy Database ||

I looked up everyone in Fayette county in Saint Elmo IL receiving farm subsidies. In that way i could determine if the farm recently was subsidized but it wasn’t. EWG Farm Subsidy Database || Farm Subsidy Search Results

I was unable to spot any rows from the satellite view

1 Like

I’m not seeing 100-46 (Lehman’s Delight) on bareroot availability lists for last winter or next here in CA. Note that persimmon roots cannot be legally imported to CA for the nursery trade.

2 Likes

@Richard

Can scion wood be ordered into California? I’m not sure if there is a limited group of states approved now you can receive plant materials from eg. Oregon. Last i knew most things are restricted to California due to agriculture risks.

Here’s 100-46 on 60. Grafted 4/12/23. It flowered and set fruit…which I removed.

4 Likes

@Beetree

That is impressive results!

1 Like

Big roots…I’m sick of tying this thing up every week :joy:.

1 Like

Yes, and whole trees of many other species – just not persimmon roots due to the root borer.

1 Like

i just noticed these this year for the first time. looks like gray persimmon weevil. i couldn’t find much info about their life cycle, effect on trees. i gather they are benign. wondered if anyone knows more

1 Like