Wildlife in our gardens

6 Likes

15 Likes

made a friend today

10 Likes

Another snake, I think its a Banned Water Snake. Hope he goes under my home in case there are mice under there.

7 Likes

Yep.

4 Likes

I’ve seen that picture and a couple others online of the cottonmouth eyes. I’ve read that all poisonous snake in the USA (except coral snake and sea snakes) have elliptical pupils so if that’s true why does that picture of the cottonmouth have round pupil?

I guess they change shape depending on light or focusing?

2 Likes

My guess would be the photo was taken in low light when the pupil is fully expanded and looks more circular? Maybe with a flash, so the pupil hadn’t contracted yet when the photo was captured.

2 Likes

I put in a fountain a few months ago, it’s very popular!

8 Likes

I wondered about this…. Most sources say “forget the rules”

“Viperids such as rattlesnakes or adders do have elliptical pupils; however, many harmless snakes also possess this feature. Furthermore, many venomous snakes (elapids) have round pupils. As if that wasn’t enough—even elliptical pupils appear round in low light since they expand just like round pupils.”

1 Like

If in doubt, get the shotgun!

gosh he’s beautiful

Find the toad.

10 Likes

Yeah especially when they are eating the guts out of a deer real cute.

1 Like

6 Likes

Natures garbage disposals. :+1:

3 Likes

I squashed a few tomato hornworms today, so no picture.
Here is a large female praying mantis station near my tomato bed, it’s been catching a lot of butterflies.

8 Likes

someone’s gotta clean up! I love turkey vulture too. and that toad is my favorite they are one of the best animals

here’s my day, they were looking for water and very happy when I refilled the pans. I’ve had a lot of wasps, native bees this year. few honeybees. they’ve all been friendly

4 Likes

I think this one is pregnant.

5 Likes

In my backyard just now…

7 Likes

Just saw this guy while mowing

11 Likes