Wildlife in our gardens

believe it or not, we have snappers here now. started seeing them about 15 yrs ago. last spring i removed one out of the road that was looking for gravel to nest in. about 6 yrs ago while unloading my boat one about 2ft long came out from under the dock. biggest one ive ever seen at least in Maine. im tempted to harvest one to try the meat. funny they are protected in s. new england but not in Maine.

2 Likes

The red headed woodpeckers are back .
They come here this time of year to survey the acorn crop .
If they think their are a plentiful amount of acorns , they stay for the winter.
If not ,they go elsewhere.
Not sure if there is enough this year ?
I have seen some white oaks with a decent crop .
But many trees have none .
I have a lot of nice oak here…
A photo from the web of what they look like .

9 Likes

I’m officially a turtle mama. This little guy was swimming in my fountain today. My attempt to save the eggs worked!

8 Likes

This little guy has been around the same tree for over a week now.

15 Likes

Florida state bird having lunch

8 Likes

Praying Mantis

6 Likes

up until 20 years ago i had never seen a turkey vulture in Maine. now i see them quite a bit. cant mistake them flying on the thermals. dont know how they survive winter. im thinking they migrate south as i dont see them in winter.

2 Likes

Same here. About 6-8 years ago the turkey vultures showed up and have grown in population since. They’re over the orchard all the time while I’m working, and the past few years at the house too.

2 Likes

We have them here in our hood, last time I saw them, they were cleaning up some dead animal in our street.

1 Like

you guys have the black headed ones there right? when i was stationed at White Sands, N.M they were everywhere. seen a bunch fighting coyotes over a roadkill many times.

2 Likes

I never got closed enough to really see, but here is a link.

2 Likes

those are the same as we have here.

3 Likes

Im sure we have both types here. Some are much larger as well.

Two species of vulture occur in Florida, the turkey vulture (Cathartes aura) and the black vulture (Coragyps atratus) . Turkey vultures have reddish heads while the heads of black vultures are black

4 Likes

I was showing this volunteer tropical milkweed to my daughter and expressing to her my hope that it will atract a monarch butterfly. One hour later, I snapped this pic…wonderful miraculous nature!!

11 Likes

Do you think vultures would come to my yard if I left out dead squirrels for them?

3 Likes

Absolutely. This is a dead possum and a dead armadillo

5 Likes

This is like Where’sWaldo. Took me a minute to see who you were showing us.

2 Likes

no shortage of them there. like our ravens and crows.

2 Likes

They are mean as hell to. They fight and sqwack the whole time their trying to eat. Actually very interesting to watch.

3 Likes

ravens and bald eagles do the same here. even the crows stay away when the eagles show up. they stay on the outskirts and make a hell of a racket trying to scare the eagle off.

5 Likes