Wildlife in our gardens

I have a lot of experience with western “black” bears. The smaller ones that are around 28-32" at the shoulder check in about 400 lbs. When I’m in the wilderness I give them a lot of respect – and steer clear of their huckleberry patches!

These encounters in the dark leave a lot to imagination but here is a picture from a smartphone of an animal in the dark. I’m out there with them all the time late finishing things up and never fear any of the wildlife we have here. Not to say you should not respect them but I don’t make a big deal out of an encounter.
69DC18DD-4C4F-4FDA-BC34-552F0A1DDDE8

In areas close to or in Arkansas and Missouri etc I don’t have that same confidence and have been there plenty working cows etc. Bears, hogs, numerous panthers etc change things. Obviously the animal in the picture is not something I could make out in pitch black but something I thought you all might enjoy seeing through my eyes. People not from here are terrified sometimes at these encounters. Our largest predator is rare and there are no confirmed attacks ever in modern times https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/confirmed-mountain-lion-sightings-rise-in-missouri-kansas/ . Coyotes in Kansas are harmless to humans http://www.wildlife.k-state.edu/species/coyotes/index.html

A honeybee on the ridge of our rear fountain, with its proboscis (mouth-tube) in the water :slightly_smiling_face:

If they kill raccoons and possums, they should be honored guests.

dutch-s ,

I shouldn’t have said “your logic” and “wolves” in the same post. My apologies. I was extrapolating, and sounds like you don’t approve of that.

With respect to coyotes however, you did say “coyotes are very high on my list for eradication”. I think to most people that means to kill them all.

I can understand how this could be important in your area :slightly_smiling_face:. In my area opossums do little crop damage and drive out rats (sworn enemies), while the racoons keep the winter grub population under control. I don’t mind them one bit.

They don’t climb your fruit trees and strip the fruit, or crawl under your deck, die and rot?

Re: the conversation on bears. Probably the best book on the subject (for black bears) is “Out on a Limb” by Benjamin Kilham. He studied and rehabilitated bears. Fascinating stories as well as good info on how to express to bears when they are on your turf and should get out, as well as other info on bear behavior.

raccoons and opossums? Never.

Thank you, just bought it.

It will be an interesting read. I have some handed down training and personal experience with this but it’s always good to read about other encounters.

The coyote population has gone down some here it seems anyway. They are the big eastern coyotes and when they go nuts at night after a kill on one side of the woods - yard, then go nuts on the other side in the neighbors it can sound like there is fifty of them! This happened in my own town just a couple miles north of me.

They attacked another horse right after this one here too.

That seems more like wolf behavior, or dogs

A lot of people are sceptical of what really happened out there. They may be coywolves too, but some people say that they are just eastern wolves. I have seen a lot of coyotes the size of german shepherds in my yard. No matter what when the population was out of control it was very scary at night. I even felt like I need a gun to walk out back.

That’s a very different coyote than ours. Our coyotes spend the day eating mice and run like crazy when a person approaches. Humans hunt coyote here so they have a reason to run. That is much more wolf like behavior in the video than coyote as mentioned. They are not aggressive to humans whatsoever. Kansas coyotes would have eaten those animals because of the people’s ignorance. They are misunderstood because turning dogs on them as people do is sure death for the dog. Coyotes can kill a dog by themselves let alone our packs of 30+ .coyotes They use coyote dogs here that are specifically trained for that job of tracking them but they track their dogs by radio waves never letting them get far away. Coyotes will eat your pet it’s just survival. A good fence keeps the coyotes away from pets and livestock.

I can see how someone could take it that way. According to Florida law and seasoning it appear they do want then all gone. I may be wrong but I do not believe they were native to Florida until the past 15 or so years. Seems the population has migrated east from past protection in the west if my memory serves me correctly. I’m just saying Florida would not have an open season on them if they didn’t want everything one of them you see shot. Pigs are even worse and the state doesn’t even require a license to shoot them. I don’t look at this from a save my fruit trees perspective. I look at the animal population perspective. If I have animals the state protects killing my fruit then I protect my fruit with fence etc. If they don’t then they get shot. Just the way I see it. My fruit is entirely secondary. I am the one who decided to introduce the fruit. Ohh. and the pigs are not even native to North America, Brought here by the Spanish and are now Invasive in many areas and wreaking absolute total destruction in some ares.

The only time we see a coyote around here is when one has been kicked out of the pack or is sickly. We usually put it down if we can because those are the trouble makers.

Some odd years ago, I was metal detecting down in my pasture and night fell upon me, yet I kept working because I can usually see just fine given a full moon and the stars on a clear night. Coyote’s circled me in the woods surrounding me, howling and caring on a ruckus. I could see how it would scare the shit out of someone but I knew they were running up something to eat and didn’t care about me in the slightest. The only animal that will ever attack a human around here is a pet dog or cat. Many times dogs will take off from their home and join up with either coyotes or another dog and form a pack. These are very dangerous and will attack because they are afraid of nothing. In all my life this has never happened to me but I can see it being a concern if your house was next to the woods and you had small children playing outside. Still, it would be a pretty rare thing. I’d be more concerned with large cats and bears if we had those here.

Even more years back, when I was a younger feller, I took the camera into the pasture for some night time photography. It was of course pitch black and as my eyes were fixed on the skies, I didn’t notice what was going on in front of me. Hundreds of glowing eyes were wondering the horizon just in front of the woods. Scared me a little bit to be surrounded all alone at night but they were just deer. A few of them even started to come closer to me to see what I was all about. A normal coyote would never do that.

they come in to eat the gardens!

I have Camera shots from a trail cam of some VERY LARGE coyotedogs…They do breed with the local wild dogs and get really big. For the most part they are relatively smallish but viscous none the less and they will eat anything. I know what you mean about being a bit weirded out at night. I have had similar experiences…

in summer they aren’t a problem but in our hard winters, they have killed people here out of hunger. our coyotes are so big they have even killed moose here! some say theyre a cross of the eastern gray wolves that used to be here. nearby quebec still has a gray wolf population that are protected and growing. some say they have already spread here to remote n.w allagash region but it hasnt been confirmed yet. going to be the nail in the coffin for our struggling deer population there!

Our deer population has been severely impacted by Coyotes. Not to mention the Farmers with deprecation permits for their crops which quite frankly I think is stupid and they do not adhere to the restrictions on the permits and just shoot them anywhere anytime. Actually pisses me off but in these small country counties the farmers are the county commissioners and good luck talking them out of shooting whatever they want to.