Wildlife in our gardens

Its a big black ugly snake and I will no longer watch your snake pictures. Too creepy!

1 Like

Looks like what we call a water snake that is frequently misidentified as a cottonmouth because it has hour glasses on itā€™s body and an aggressive disposition. Keep in mind Iā€™m on a smart phone and it appears to be in the hay.

At first we were worried that it was a cottonmouth or eastern massasauga. Black Rat snakes are common around here, but that didnā€™t look like the adults. Iā€™m guessing it was a foot and a half long. It was actually in some dry grass. I guess the picture does clash with the much nicer pics in this thread. Iā€™ll take it down and ask some guys at work instead!

1 Like

Just wanted to be sure you all saw the recent photos I posted above:

Nothing new to postā€¦they have a few more feathers but look about the same and seem to be coming along well.

4 Likes

Thanks for alert us for tha baby quail picture! The first picture looks like baby chicken.

They are so cute!

Thereā€™s a chipmunk inside of that log, and my dog really wanted to eat it. I was hoping heā€™d get it, too, because the dang thing has eaten every single one of my strawberries this year. It eventually came flying out like a bat out of hell- Iā€™ve never seen something so small run so fast. The dog didnā€™t even see it, it was so fast. He thinks itā€™s still in there and wonā€™t leave his post. Good dogā€¦ I guess. ha!

11 Likes

The last of the monarchs my kids and I raised from egglings is drying out in this pic. Good luck to her.

11 Likes

peanut butter on a rat trap. But keep the dog(s) insideā€¦

3 Likes

HISTORY OF COYWOLVES - 2 MINUTE HISTORY

Peach Thief, Caught in the actā€¦

12 Likes

Oriole chicks

14 Likes

17 Likes

cool pic!!!

Katy

1 Like

Oh boy was just chillinā€™ staring at me. :grinning:

Dax

On the porch.

Afterward, found the tail of a chicken snake the coachwhip ate (why he was up here, apparently).

4 Likes

It has been very dry this summer and it seems like the annual flowers suffered but the rose of Sharon hedge has continued to bloom.

11 Likes

@Derby42

These do not self propagate but if you would like to graft some next spring I have plenty of wood. Was intending to grow more of the type you have but these cost $1 each as unknown bushes for the fence row. I looked at the plants at the time and knew they were some type of rose of Sharon.

5 Likes

Those are pretty, I like that they are so easy to grow. I donā€™t know how they will respond to being trimmed so short in the long term but they are ok so far

1 Like

I wonder why they donā€™t grow from seed? The old fashioned ones in my yard come up all around the mother tree if you donā€™t keep them mowed

1 Like

Sterile hybrid?

1 Like