Wildlife in our gardens

We’ve had Evening Grosbeaks since October. Generally we only get them in severe winters with low temps and high snow accumulation. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

11 Likes

Not a bird we have here they are beautiful!

1 Like

we used to have tons of them here 30yrs ago. they were everywhere. only seen a few since. don’t know why they don’t come here anymore. there were so many that cars would run into flocks of them feeding on the roads. locals called them ‘‘suicide birds’’!

1 Like

See these hawks all the time around my house. Seems I never get good picture though. Can you tell the name of this hawk based on these photos?

3 Likes

It looks like a Red Shouldered hawk

image https://growingfruit-images.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/e/5/e5e1985bbbf947227cc0ced3bc0e04815b4b8d32.JPG

Katy

8 Likes

Exactly what I concluded. Nice to see someone else concluded the same.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find a land or homestead post so I’ll put this here. I just thought it was cool. I did a panoramic pic of a part of my land from a 12 foot tall tripod stand with a 360 seat…! You can tap the photo and move it right or left.

5 Likes

we had one lone male eastern towhee, in central northern michigan this fall.
never had one at the feeder before.

2 Likes

We had a pair of Rufous Sided Towhee’s nest here a few summers ago. First and last time I’ve seen them. I have photo’s somewhere…

That swallowtail looks like it’s laying an egg!

1 Like

The Bruiser Brothers, foiled by the orchard fence, heading over to console themselves in the raspberry patch.

19 Likes

Those are some browsers that have reach, I bet they could pick a twig 9 feet high

3 Likes

Just beautiful beasts…

5 Likes

had a couple twin cow moose strip my raspberries a few years ago. was the only thing still green in nov. at least they were my everbearing so i was cutting them anyway. yes moose can strip a full size apple tree in short order!

2 Likes

hummingbird …

10 Likes

I always wondered where they all go when the leave us in our fall…

2 Likes

@Steve333
In our area there are 5 species here for courtship and mating this time of year, two of which are here year-round. The same individuals seem to return each year. I’ve read that over in Arizona’s Ramsey Canyon Preserve they have over a dozen different species that congregate each year.

1 Like

Redtail on pole

14 Likes

Another wonderful photo, Richard. (or should I say Janet?) That guy (gal?) looks mad! Just the other day i looked out my window and watched a red tail hawk just like that trying to get inside my chicken coop. It was amazing. He walked around the top, then flew down to the ground and then slowly and meticulously walked around all 4 sides of my little coop. He’d stop and peck on a few places or push on parts of it with his body and sometimes try to pull the chicken wire up. Very smart- if there had possibly been a way in he definitely would have found it!!! My quail and chickens were going crazy but fortunately he gave up eventually!

5 Likes

It’s like getting a pass from the chicken coop inspector

8 Likes