Wildlife in our gardens

This was the same day. Deer came later in the evening. Well, with corn they come every day.

2 Likes

You are brave by inviting the deer to your orchard. Lol.

3 Likes

Unless heā€™s luring them there

3 Likes

with the turkeys ā€¦

I donā€™t think deer eat turkeys

The deer are there anyway. I was luring them earlier. I harvested two and picked up one roadkill. I could still kill does till February. Normally Jan 1 but they extended the antlerless to Feb. You have to have any unused tag or buy an antlerless tag till those run out, and they never seem to run out. This means you can shoot bucks with antlers less than 3" and does and fawns. My neighbor took 12 one year. There is no such thing as keeping the deer away from my orchard. Even if I killed them all, they would still find this area and fill it in. Turkeys are unpredictable. They rome large areas and donā€™t stay for more than a few days. Then they show up weeks later. The deer population has gone down. I used to get over 30 in my yard. Most of my neighbors have moved and the new ones all hunt. I have a 16, 11, 9, and eight point bucks mounted that have been shot right from my backyard. I donā€™t hunt that much anymore. I do like to pick up the fresh road kills though. My yorkie can eat one deer a year. I have lived here for 46 years.

2 Likes

With the roadkillā€™s deer, how would you drain out the blood to take away the gammy taste?

if i could keep my freezer full of venison , i would. i love the meat and its so much better for you. moose is even better than deer because they eat a lot of water plants out of the lakes that makes their meat richer tasting. moose permits are a lottery so its very hard to get .

1 Like

Thereā€™s not to many bloody spots. I still save it all. I cut it up into cubes and give it a rinse. Then I cook it with bubbly water. My dog loves the blood anyway.

2 Likes

I donā€™t care for wild turkey either. I could try deep frying one yet but cooking in an oven bag with cream of mushroom soup didnā€™t work for me. They are dry and the breast meat is like dark meat which wasnā€™t bad but the dark meat was like dry liver! Lol

1 Like

As you can see my trees are protected and my garden is in the air. No problems except sometimes they get past my long fences. With deer there is a dominant doe. She has all her baby does fallow her around. She defends her turf from other deer. Once you kill her the next dominant doe will move in. All the deer in the picture didnā€™t live here last summer. They are a mixed bag of whatā€™s left over. A dominant doe will claim my yard as they fill in and keep the rest out. The bucks just go where the does are. The young ones get chased away by their mother before breeding season.

2 Likes

Our birdfeeder sees a steady stream of activity. about a month ago that was mostly cardinals and few other random birds, maybe a few sparrows or a chickadee. That has completely shiftedā€¦weā€™re now seeing a preponderance of sparrows and this weekend even a red-bellied woodpecker tried his hand at eating from the feeder. We also used to have blue jays, but not seeing to many of them these days.

9 Likes

That photo is so cool, good work capturing that one! The spiderā€™s body reminds me of a gingham tablecloth. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever thought of a spider as cute before. The background sure does make the action POP.

2 Likes

seems the birdfeeder is attracting more than birdsā€¦I know that possums have pretty poor eye sight. was checking the doors last night before going to bed and saw this guy hanging out under the feeder just picking up scrapsā€¦I turned on the light and he kept going about his businessā€¦

7 Likes

They are really not very bright either. They wonā€™t run if they are eating and the light just blinds them so they wonā€™t run then either. They think running up a tree is a safe spotā€¦Not safe to a hunter at allā€¦ Armadillos are even worseā€¦dumb as rocks. They will run straight at you and even crash on your legsā€¦

2 Likes

For sure. If I fancied myself a pot of possum stew this guy would have been easy pickingsā€¦

2 Likes

My dog brings me possums up to the deck all the time. A few nights ago I watched a possum doing the exact same thing as the one at your house thinking ā€˜if my dog only knew.ā€™

My dog killed a huge groundhog last summer that I have been trying to find for years. Now, with the addition of possumsā€¦ Iā€™m waiting for her to bring up a skunk. She brought that groundhog right up close to the house and sat upright waiting for me to see what she had brought. Boy did I praise her.

Dax

11 Likes

Possums are good to have around they eat ticks and bugs.

2 Likes

And fruit! Donā€™t forget that one :slight_smile:

1 Like

They especially like my grapes