Wildlife in our gardens

I love it! Didn’t know they were so much work. I think I knew you had turtle(s) but had forgotten…sounds like you all have some neat pets. Now what is this about you not being able to pick up the Bearded??? haha

1 Like

The only “living creature” I can touch is human, nothing else no matter what . I don’t know why. It doesn’t mean I don’t love them or think they are cute.

Monarch butterfly caterpillars on common milkweed near my winter squash patch.

14 Likes

That is bad news! We are blessed to have them in abundance here. They are seen often just making their webs in the tallgrass pastures, as well as our gardens and even on the porch.

Some wildlife on the laurel hedge, and sedum succulents.
I have 18 photos of just the Great Golden Digger Wasp. Hard to choose.

A lot of wasps and bees are in the laurel hedge. It looks like they may be gathering sap or resin from the new growth? I do not see flowers.
068%20(2)
Leaf cutter bee still prefers these calendula flowers. I am guessing there is something in the pollen they like. All the bees that visit them seem to be collecting pollen.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Found this beauty and 3 babies this weekend. I’ve looked for a rattler all my life in missouri and never found one here. Was definitely a good weekend!!

9 Likes

Yesterday (it was too hidden to get a good pic) i saw an oriole fly into my apple tree (to eat apples–they are ripe i just haven’t picked them–some sort of mac seedling). First one i’ve seen this year. I’ve also seen a hummingbird twice. Crazy drought dry this summer…i’ve kept my bird bath full. Even the wasps i’ve seen drinking water.

1 Like

This was technically on my porch, 50 feet from the garden. I’m assuming it made it there a few times.

6 Likes

Daily dose of “ew:”

The first is a cicada hatching out, the second is three cicadas in different stages. They really like my maple tree for some reason. There are shed skins all over the ground under it.

14 Likes

The youtube algorithm sent me to this video on hummingbirds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biagyb7AcK8
Very entertaining.

5 Likes

Turtle comes almost every year.

Bird family

15 Likes

Aww, I wish I had a yearly turtle visitor.

1 Like

6 Likes

This is my yearly turtle visitor…yours looks more friendly

14 Likes

It’s amazing how tough snapping turtles are!

3 Likes

picked one out of the road last spring. wasn’t happy!

3 Likes

Unknown nectar drinker. Looks cool.

7 Likes

Dragonfly breakfast

23 Likes

Looks like a Flower Longhorn Beetle (Xestoleptura crassipes).

2 Likes