Wildlife in our gardens

15 Likes

Mr. Foxy.

16 Likes

From our next door neighbor’s trailcam Wednesday night. They said it was headed towards the back of our property. There’s an overgrown 4’ chain link fence between us.

13 Likes

I don’t think a four foot fence would slow him down much… :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

5 Likes

They climb right over mine. I’ve got one with two more cubs again :persevere:

3 Likes

I see these once or twice a year in the yard

. He entered spider heaven shortly after the photo was taken

10 Likes

I find them too around the horse troughs and the half barrels I use for potting mix. I really do hate to kill them but the black widows are just too dangerous to keep around. I once took care of a man bitten by black widow. I will never forget it!!!

3 Likes

Been clearing some overgrown grass inside my hoop house and the first day I kill 65 black widow spiders, I’m still thinking on going back to finish it. :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Not in the garden but really cool! Carrying his dinner to a special place!!

7 Likes

Tree frog in the muscadines.

18 Likes

Found this golden rod at the edge of my woods today. The pollinators are still going strong.

16 Likes

Beautiful shot.

1 Like

I couldn’t get a picture because it happened so fast . . .
but I was pulling into my garage and saw what appeared to be an otter (!) running from my Chicago Hardy fig - to a little crummy shed where ‘something’ had been burrowing and displacing tons of dirt to make a home! But - I doubt that it could be the otter that was doing that . . . more likely a ground hog. ? However . . . maybe it wasn’t an otter, after all. I do know it was some ‘weasely’ shaped animal - who ran like an otter - had a skinny tail like an otter - was the size of an otter . . .

If it 'smelled ’ fishy, like an otter . . . I guess I could be certain! But - we were not that warm and fuzzy on that day . . . so I cannot vouch for how he/she smelled. I only recently heard about another native animal - much like an otter - called a ‘Fisher Cat’, around here. Officially, they are called fishers. (But in Virginia - they always seem to want to butcher names of things.) They look nothing like a cat. But, also very weasel-like - with bushy tails. The one I saw had a skinny tail. And we do have otters that visit a pond on our property . . . but I’ve never seen one out in the open, like that, before. Any ideas?

3 Likes

fishers are bigger than otters . think fox size with shorter legs. they are generally forest animals. from your description its sounds like a otter. esp.if theres water nearby. fishers are cousins of the wolverine and can be nasty if cornered. seen a fisher and a coon ago at it at a bear bait station. the coon was a killed.

2 Likes

Birds eating my persimmons:
https://youtu.be/I9PbWaNuo6s

2 Likes

Probably because she was going the other way, lol!

1 Like

No pictures, but I had a bald eagle in my oak tree this morning! I heard an eagle call and poked my head out the front door. There was one in the Norway spruce across the street. I was so busy marveling at it that I didn’t notice the one 50 ft from my head until it flew off! It had gotten a squirrel; hopefully they’ll come back for more!

6 Likes

I caught a photo of this one last week, when I was cleaning up trash the wind blew in.

5 Likes

Not really wild. This a stray cat in the pomegranate tree at my sister’s place. The cat has a few kittens that come sometimes. They made a big mess on the lawn so I gave her a 2’x3’ piece of chicken wire to put at that place. They don’t do that anymore, but the cat still comes everyday. I don’t know how she got into the tree because it is thorny. That is her favorite hiding place, and she didn’t even move when I took the picture. My sister only lost a few fruits to the birds this summer, nothing compared to other years. Too bad I am afraid of the cat in general.

7 Likes

was down by the creek the other day when this huge shadow appeared out of no where…They’re so quiet I barely even heard him, landed on a tree right in front of me…

9 Likes