Wildlife in our gardens

No words…

9 Likes

I hope those don’t invade like JB’s!

2 Likes

They’re not pests, essentially harmless creatures.

2 Likes

Isn’t that a rhinoceros beetle?

3 Likes

I had never seen one before so I guess he could be. He was VERY strong and I hope he’s not a pest because I moved him from trying to come in the back door of my hospital (certain death) to out in the grass (second chance). He def did not like me though…

2 Likes

I’ve read that they are the world’s strongest creature - dunno how true that is

2 Likes

It was trouble to hold on to him…of course taking pics at the same time…but his legs left dents in my fingers where he was pushing against me and I’d hate to think what those pincers would do… he was a good two inches long not counting legs. In that profile photo it looks like he is sticking his tongue out…surely they don’t have TONGUES???

1 Like

This is the closest ID I’ve found–a variety of rhinoceros beetle.

3 Likes

Likely a measure of strength per body weight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Supposedly can carry 850 x their body weight. (With only minimal increase in metabolism! I’ve been reading up… :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::rofl:)

2 Likes

My girl’s love butterflies, especially the younger one and we’ve always had monarchs. This year I went a little crazy with the milk weed this year. Probably won’t ever need to plant it again as it propagates pretty well down here. I now have sections of my yard where it comes back on it’s own. There were probably a dozen or more just on these two plants.

13 Likes

LOL! All our “weeds” are escapees from flower beds.

1 Like

I found this beauty hanging out on one of my fig trees. Not sure of the variety.

11 Likes

Wow, that is quite the infestation of monarch caterpillars you have there. :wink::grin:

1 Like

If you like pics of bald eagles here are some I took nearby last spring when the eagles (bald, golden and red tail hawks) were visiting…

Enjoy.

Anthony

18 Likes

That is cool!!! :eagle:

2 Likes

Calling Alfred Hitchcock!

2 Likes

There were literally hundreds of Bald Eagles mostly in the South Delta area this spring. Everywhere you looked there were “BIRDS!!!” but big eagles, hawks and blue herons, not little sparrows, pigeons and gulls. It was cool. Apparently they like it here where its safe, nobody is shooting them (except with cameras and smartphones), and they can find enough to eat.

We have another place further north called Brackendale where the eagles congregate during the autumn and early winter to feast on the salmon run.

Anthony

2 Likes

Yesterday I was out picking figs and as I approached my VdB a June bug flew off. Next thing I know a male Oriole buzzes by at full speed about 2 inches from my ear and snatches the June bug mid-air. It then lands on a nearby Aprium and looks at me as if to say “thanks”, then casually flies to its nesting site in a neighbor’s Brazilian Pepper tree. :heart:

5 Likes

Was outside and I heard this crunching sound coming from my meyer lemon tree…This is the same one I was debating on tearing out…guess I’ll keep it a while longer since the giant swallowtails seem to like it…amazing how loud these things are when they’re eating…

11 Likes