2020 Grafting Thread

I unwrapped a few of this springs (apple) grafts. Some fairly large scions that were difficult to get to “touch” completely without a lot of pressure. So I wrapped plastic outside of the parafilm really tight. I usually don’t unwrap, when parafilm is all I wrap 'em with. I figured this plastic wouldn’t degrade away as fast and could girdle them if I didn’t though. Not the prettiest grafts ever but as long as they live and grow!

13 Likes

I think I overdid it with my persimmon grafting this year. Only 2 failed out of 30-ish. Not sure what to do with all these new trees! All the bare sticks in the background are budding out.

Also don’t give up on your persimmon grafts even if they sit still or dry up after leafing out. The one on the left took 6 weeks to bud out. The one on the right leafed out right away and then dried up. It looked dead for 3 weeks then started to grow many shoots. Just keep them in the shade and rub off all rootstock growth for success!

11 Likes

Good job!!! What varieties do you have?

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who traded me scions! You, Bob, Eric in particular sent me plenty of persimmon sticks to play with.

I’ve got Cheong Pyong, Chibacha, Inchon, Tae Chu, Kasandra, Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang, Kyungsan Ban Si, Giombo, Pulu, Steiermark, Mazugata, WS8-10, Kurogaki x Hokkaido, Eureka, and Chinebuli. I told @thecityman I grafted 10 varieties. Guess my count was off since it looks like I have 15 listed! Not sure where all these extra trees end up coming from :smiley:

The Chinebuli I got from you had 2 vertical stems. I pruned one off and made 2 grafts. Now I have 3 Chinebuli going.

6 Likes

joining in late… @PharmerDrewee what is the rootstock and where did you get it? when did you graft?

These are all on D. virginiana. I bought rootstocks here this year.

They can be purchased at a lower cost elsewhere but I felt I got my money’s worth. The rootstocks were large, high quality with lots of roots. Another reason for picking this nursery is because I wanted a local source.

6 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean. I usually make the cuts on the scion and rootstock (or limb/branch/wood), join the two, and then begin wrapping below the joint, out through the union, and then finish the wrapping at the scion.

I think what Stan means,is to wrap the entire scion,after making the cuts,minus the union area.That can be added after the graft is put together.That way,there will be a lot less torquing and pressure and hopefully a better chance of alignment.bb

3 Likes

I actually wrap the scion before making the cuts. Can leave the bottom piece of the scion (where the cuts will be made) unwrapped, but it does not matter since you can easily cut through the parafilm.

6 Likes

Andrew, I don’t see Rio Brilliante, got to have that one.

2 Likes

I got a Rojo Brillante grafted last year from the scions you sent!

1 Like

Hmmm. I’ve seen videos of people wrapping the scion, but I have never done that. I just put some Doc Farwell’s Heal & Seal on the cut top of the scion–because I am worried the buds won’t be able to push through the parafilm. (And oftentimes I use more parafilm than is necessary to simply prevent moisture from entering, because my graft union is weak and I am trying to strengthen it.)

@Bradybb and @Stan So you both wrap the scions completely then, eh, and make the buds have to push through the parafilm?

1 Like

The buds have no issues whatsoever pushing through parafilm. They just pop right through. I wouldn’t put a dozen layers on top of a bud, but a layer or two doesn’t slow down a pushing bud at all.

3 Likes

Yes,I’ve never seen a bud not push through,but the parafilm gets stretched a bit, as it gets wrapped.bb

1 Like

T bud graft performed about 4 weeks ago

15 Likes

Very nice…i.ve never tried one of those…i did some chip budding today since i had a tree that i removed and wanted to save a few things.

Yes, just to reiterate what people said above, buds pushing through the parafilm is not an issue at all. Actually, sometimes I would prefer for the buds not to push through the parafilm as soon as they do.

3 Likes

When we cleared the field we had a few crab apple trees that we left. In June I grafted them with scion I had left over:

12 Likes

Here is one of my better potted grafts, a Kyungsan Ban Si persimmon @aap Look how big it is! Already 5 feet tall with a fast growing leader.

8 Likes

Wow, that is much bigger than the persimmons I grafted this year. Great job! How old was the root stock?

2 Likes