Be careful grafting

I’m currently here at the urgent care with deep laceration to my right 4th finger. Ended up with 5 stitches, tetanus shot, and a $20 copay(thank god for insurance)

I’ve done close to 100 whip and tongue from last year and this year but never had an issue. The usual culprit for incidence like this is trying out a different graft. I was trying to do lateral cut to do a side graft when I miscalculated how soft it was and cut my 2nd and 4th finger.

My advice to newbies like me is to use cut resistant gloves if you’re trying something new or just be very careful and don’t rush.

I hope the graft at least take.

27 Likes

I started using gloves last year. I dont dislike it asmuch as I thought I would, and the rubber grip is nice.

I remember when I first started grafting I was doing something wrong, the knife slipped and hit my other hand. Miraculously, it mustve hit perfectly perpendicular to my hand so it didnt cut me, even though the knife was pretty sharp. No sense in trying to be that lucky twice!

5 Likes

I think that is great advice. I had a similar incident where I cut one of my fingers with a utility knife. However, ironically I was wearing kevlar cut resistant gloves. I had managed to stab my finger with the knife. I then found out that cut resistant doesn’t mean puncture resistant. The loose weave of the kevlar gloves allowed the tip of the knife to cut my finger. Because of this I got a pair of gloves that were good for both cut resistance and puncture resistance.

I ended up getting these gloves because were rated good in both categories.

They cost more. They are about $32 a pair but I think they are well worth it. All of us work with our hands either in the traditional sense or just typing on a keyboard like I am doing right now. A serious injury to your hand is bad news. And even a less serious injury is not good if you can’t work for a day or a week, etc.

Whatever gloves you look at check the ratings for cut and puncture resistance.

Take a look at these Ansi and European standards that will help you pick a glove that is going to work for you.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/resources/cut-resistant-gloves.htm

8 Likes

I should have started using it 2 weeks ago when i sustained another cut which took 2 weeks to heal but not needing stitches. I was also trying something else which is chip budding, which was also my first time. I’m glad you didn’t get hurt.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I will order this one.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that happened, and glad you are getting medical care.

I’d add to your advice, try to always be mindful about where the energy will go, when the knife stroke goes through, and not have any part of your body near that path.

6 Likes

Always use gloves on your non dominant hand as insurance though I don’t always do it. Perhaps I should get more serious about protection.

Even really weak gloves (like nitrile gloves) are sufficient for me. Also best to rock the tongue portion of the cut rather than try and force it.

Use a sharp/very sharp knife and maintain control. Blunt knives can slip and cut. And definitely single beveled. If using a regular knife, there is much more danger.

3 Likes

Good info and thank you for the recommendations. I noticed the Grainger gloves are for vibrations and does not say anything about cut proof. Are you sure these are the right ones?

1 Like

Darn John, I hope things heal up quickly for you.

I’ve seen duct tape on fingers in grafting videos.

Others put a CD around the rootstock for protection.

Gloves can be helpful if they don’t reduce dexterity too much.

Good luck to all and be safe! A sharp knife helps too.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I’m new to grafting and was planning on starting a few mulberries this weekend. Before I start, I’m going to head over to Harbor Freight to get myself a pair of cut resistant gloves.

I really appreciate you reminding us about the often underestimated dangers of grafting. If it can happen to a more experienced person, it could definitely happen to me.

2 Likes

That’s genius! I would’ve never thought of something like that

1 Like

Sorry this happened bro! Thanks for the warning. I like wearing a pair of Milwaukee Cut Resistant gloves when planting trees, and will wear them when grafting this spring now. They are pretty inexpensive, about $10 a pair.

2 Likes

I gashed my finger one time while grafting cherries last year and I refuse to touch it without gloves on now. The other key is being mindful to not push the knife, but instead to rock it back and forth, this prevents you from going all the way through and hitting your finger. Steven over at Skillcult also has some good tips for cutting to avoid injury in his grafting series.

2 Likes

A “ O ring use in garden hoses is what I use. 60 years later no cut fingers.
I am not the usual risk taker, always cautious!!!

2 Likes

Leading up to a grafting class I gave I was terrified somebody would gash themselves. So to get reassurance, I talked to my friend Larry in Mississippi who does lots of classes. He said “Well, yeah, last class I gave we had to call an ambulance- a student, a medical doctor no less, slashed herself bad, we couldn’t stop the bleeding.” I said- “Thanks, Larry.” LOL.

10 Likes

$4 at Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/a5-cut-resistant-work-gloves-large-57643.html?_br_psugg_q=cut+resistant+gloves

3 Likes

John… hope you get well soon.

Use a knife or any sharp instrument long enough and in varied situations and you are going to get cut sometime…

I used a hatchet for two years… 8 hours a day… working for a timber co doing reforestation… have a nice scar on my right knee to remind me of that time. On the back swing… hung a wild grape vine and caused my hatchet to glance off the tree and just miss my knee cap as it came to rest there.

At least with a grafting knife you should have had a pretty clean cut and you could easily get to the care you needed.

Back in the mid 80s… i was on a 14 mile float on the duck river… with my trapping partner… he used his pocket knife to open can of jack mackerel… and slipped and burried a 3" blade into his forearm (completely).

We had 8 hours of river before reaching our take out place. We wrapped it good in strips of long johns… the bleeding stopped… we set traps the rest of the day… got home around 8 pm.

Yes… it could have been worse.

2 Likes

You could use a bagel or a donut too.

3 Likes

I hope you are doing well Jhon. And are recovering oky.

And thanks for sharing, hopefully some-one else can learn from you sharing this and thus avoid cutting themselves.

if taught 30+ people how to graft. And i always spend 60+% of the time on safe cutting techniques.

Gloves are not as safe as you might think.
I have a pair of 4X43D gloves. But after looking up reviews online. And seeing multiple video’s online like this one

i searched further and looked at the standard.

The old standard looked at how many times a knife needed to pass to cut trough. At level 4 you need 10 passes with the knife. That seems very impressive. Until you read that it is at 5 newtons of applied force on the knife. 5 newtons is roughly a pound. And i think it would be safe to assume
a- our grafting knifes are probably sharper than the knives from the test.
b- we apply more than a pound of force on the knife. (especially in instances where you cut yourself)

hopeful the newer standard was harder (ANSI test (TDM-100).) i searched for that.

And cut resistance level D you cut trough at 15 newtons of force. Roughly 1.5kg or 3 pounds weight thus. (probably lower with a super sharp grafting knife) (and i know interchanging force and weight is wrong. But for most people newtons are hard to imagine)

My conclusion. Those gloves might protect you against small nicks. But don’t get overconfident with them.

Id rather focus time and money on a properly sharpened knife and the right technique. Than a false sense of security!

sources

(dutch)

I think having the right technique. And quitting when you get tired or your hands get cold are the best advice.

is excellent for looking at safer technique’s.

Rocking the blade sideways with little pressure and locking thumbs for the tongue cut is always valuable.

For chip budding and cutting the tongue part of W&T all the force should come from the muscle between your thumb and index finger of your knife hand. You should not use your arms to exert any force. And your thumbs should be locked.

i copied technique’s that professional grafters used. I think they find/learn technique’s that are safe and reliable. Since cutting themselves during grafting season would be a real problem. And they have to do 1000’s of grafts.

They stil tape their thumbs sometimes. Even with the right technique, you might want to protect your thumb. From buds/nodes rubbing against them when cutting the splice part of the W&T graft. Or from shallow cuts/nicks when chip budding/tongue cuts.

in the end you should do what you are comfortable with though.

always scares the crap out of me. When i see him cutting. But i think it’s safe to call him a grafting expert. Cutting technique’s i would never attempt seem to work fine for him.

7 Likes

If you graft enough, it happens A slip of the Grafting knife 2020 . Some types of grafting are more dangerous than others. You were doing one of the most dangerous types @John_P .

3 Likes