Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

Second of the three Shiro (I think) plum from a graft last year. A red blush on this one. Sweet and tart. Not bad. I’ll let the last one color completely before picking, assuming nothing else gets to it.

4 Likes

you all are so ahead of me.

my peas haven’t even blossomed yet let alone making peas.

7 Likes

The apricots looked delicious :yum:

1 Like

My Carmine Jewel turned color

10 Likes

I second that nickname! Such beautiful berries, Trevor.

2 Likes

First handful of blackberries for the year, left is prime ark something and right is either Kiowa or Natchez I got them before I was memorizing all my cultivar names. Regardless they produce well

5 Likes

Since starlings are nowhere to be seen (probably haven’t seen the memo about cherries being 3 weeks early), I’ve picked more juneberries than we can eat fresh. And so I tried making jam, yesterday, as an experiment. I had no idea what to expect and at first it seemed like nothing special, mild as apoles.
But then, the amygdaline aroma from the seeds took over. It’s like adding mahaleb seeds to sweet cherry jam. I am making this again! I have read about people removing the seeds, but that would be a waste of a whole level of flavour.

7 Likes

Leahcot Aprium

Flavor King Pluot

Dapple Dandy Pluot

Sweet Treat Pluerry

14 Likes

First ripening Meader. I was worried about growing blueberries in pots, but so far they look happy.

Titania:

And also black currant Venny. No purple pigment in the skin of berries, although there was some on the flowers. Very sweet and very mild black currant flavour. Though I am a fan of the strong flavour and tartness of BC, I will plant a few more bushes - it is mild enough to be eaten by handfulls like white currants.

7 Likes

Acerola doing work

6 Likes

Very pretty flowers. Where did you obtain this tree? Is it worth it to grow?

1 Like

It depends, I would say no probably. It’s really pretty, and puts out a ton of fruit. It’s just not a great tasting fruit. I mean it’s not objectionable, I grow it due to it having basically the highest amount of vitamin C of anything. One little cherry is plenty of vitamin C for a daily dose. They are pretty frost tender also, and grow fast so if you feel like moving it inside it’s worth it. If I had a larger greenhouse I’d always have it, but it needs a good chopping to go inside for me. If it’s solely on flavor, definitely not worth it. But if it’s for the nutrition, I’d say it’s definitely worth it.

Basically 60* and up its producing year round fruit

Thanks. I recall now, I had tasted this fruit years back. I don’t recall the exact flavor but I remember it was more seed than flesh.

1 Like

That bowl has HR JJ Bristol black… covered up with purple royalty and illini blackberry.

May have to do another few half pints of jam.

8 Likes

Few from me.

Nectafest Nectarine

Candy Heart Pluerry

Flavor Supreme Pluot

Somerset Grape

Century Asian Pear

Rubinette Apple

9 Likes

do you know where I can order a tree online that is reliable nursery? thank you!

I got that Spring Satin from Rural King. It is one that actually came true to label from a big box store. I have seen them for sale at Isons and Vaughns.

1 Like

Overwintered French grey shallots grown in a 2x4 bed space.

1 Like

Also offered by Freedom Tree Farms that often sell at Kroger in VA/TN areas (As far as I can tell).

1 Like