Cost Report and Call for Donations November 2020

What is the Postal address for donations?

https://growingfruit-images.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/0/e/0ec4a4a1193f0c0c43009c3de24f7dd903b93f0a.jpeg

1 Like

Good points raised by folks.

I am thankful that the current system has in the past raised enough money andā€¦ very importantā€¦ least trouble for Scott.

Soā€¦ I am thinkingā€¦ at least for the presentā€¦ no need to fix what is not broken.
butā€¦ good ideas and thoughts on pro and cons of other possible funding ideas.

Iā€™ve donated before and now. I feel like I have not donated nearly as much as the information and the camaraderie I get from this site is worth to me ā€¦I would pay more if needed to make up the difference and keep it free for all. I personally donā€™t mind if there are takers who do not give.

5 Likes

Sent by paypal.

Just sent via paypal! I definitely wouldnā€™t have had as much success growing without this forum.

4 Likes

Thank you Scott and all other admins for running this forum! It is so valuable to all of us. Donation has been sent via Paypal gladly.

As for how to fund this site, my 2 cents is: please let Scott and team decide whatā€™s best. There are pros and cons for different options. But usually the wisdom is - do not fix something thatā€™s not broken.

I do agree that a suggested donation amount would be very helpful, or just list an average donation amount from last round. I had to find it out from last yearā€™s call.

And timing is important too. I probably would have missed this post if I was not doing search on this forum. So April/May every year would be a good time. The more people will donate, the more people will get involved. Thatā€™s very important to a thriving community. Itā€™s OK to running on a surplus, at least better than running on a deficit.:grin:

7 Likes

Novaā€¦ great idea about timing. Marchā€¦Mayā€¦ probably increased activity so folks wonā€™t miss the call.

@Ginda , @joleneakamama , @galinas , @k8tpayaso , and others -

I completely understand all your comments and Iā€™m very troubled if any of you think I was in any way suggesting that Iā€™m not happy with this site and how itā€™s funded. I honestly think Iā€™ve got more out of this site than anyone, and I therefore value it the most. I reread my own comment and feel like I did a bad job of communicating my feelings. The capitalist in me was showing when I said that people who use the site but donā€™t contribute financially are problematic. They arenā€™t, especially if they contribute intellectually (as Ginda mentioned). And even if they donā€™t, it doesnā€™t affect the value I get for my money here so why should I care? As I said, this is one of the best values I get for any purchase/donation I make. I love the site, the great guy who started/manages it, the admins who oversee it, and the people who use it. I had to make this post to be sure no one thinks I was complaining about it in any way- including its funding. In my mind Itā€™s as close to perfect as an internet site can be! Sorry if I sounded otherwise.

18 Likes

I canā€™t wait to read about the tally of contributions Scott provides in a couple of weeks. I bet it covers expenses for a while as this forum keeps drawing new, appreciative members.

I think the subscription idea was a great suggestion, if only because of the strong opposition it brought. This is the beauty of dialogue. In this case I learned from the objections to the idea and they won me over.

13 Likes

PayPal sent! Wasnā€™t much but hopefully it helps. Thanks again for everything you do.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t take much when enough of us chip in. I only sent $25 and will happily send another $25 if Scott says we came up short.

I have a bit of old curmudgeon developing in me, and I wonder how much of the donations I make are going to support the business of encouraging donations! For example, I always buy a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies, or whatever ā€œGourmetā€ candy the school band or whatever is peddling, got a tin of popcorn somewhere, but I wonder if the Scouts or band get a very large percentage or are they just providing free labor (and a pool of captive customers!) for the outfits that put the deals together!

Humph. Garumph. This old world just ainā€™t what it used to be.

But sending a few bucks Scottā€™s way every year gives me real pleasure and would be worth it even if I didnā€™t use the practical content. Itā€™s a privilege to be able to use the site and Iā€™m grateful for it.

16 Likes

I will do it next week ok? I just can do it in begining of the month.

2 Likes

I just give the scouts the money and tell them to keep the cookies.

5 Likes

The check is in the mail today. Scott thanks for all you do to make this site work. Bill

1 Like

Iā€™m a little off topic with my reply. Most of the time I ask the kids if they like the cookies or whatever their selling and tell them that I will just donate the money or that they can enjoy them. They walk away happy either way.

4 Likes

Thank you Scott for running this site, also thanks to the administrators and contributors. I have benefited a lot from this site even though I mainly lurk and read., but am always happy each time to contribute when there needs to be a fundraiser. I sent my donation via PayPal.
Here in my province of Manitoba, Canada Zone 3 , we are lacking in information wrt to fruit growing so a huge thank you for all the contributors

3 Likes

For many years I donated money to the local volunteer Fire Department where I lived. I always assumed it was the firemen at my door asking for the donations, and I was generous. Then after many years of this I happened to ask one of the people taking up money about a local fire that had occurred, thinking he probably worked it. He explained that he wasnā€™t a firemen, that the local volunteer fire department actually hired an out of town company to come do the door-to-door soliciting. So I did a little research and what I found out is that the fire department pays the company 55% of what they collect!!! Iā€™ve never been so mad. So NOT EVEN HALF OF MY MONEY WAS GOING TO THE CAUSE I WAS SUPPORTING!!! Out of a $100 donation, the fire department got $45 and the out of town company got $55 for knocking on doors. I never gave another penny that way. From then on I went to fire hall and gave money to them directly

10 Likes

PayPal donation sent! Thanks so much for all of your efforts, Scott. I appreciate this forum, and all you fellow members giving your advice and encouragement. Keep growing!

Paypal sent. Thanks for the great site Scott, and all the rest of you that contribute your time, thoughts, and expertise. There really is nothing else like it.

I didnā€™t see this until today since Iā€™ve been discouraged about how poorly my fruit season went in many ways. Feeling depressed about squirrels, bugs, drought, etc., I have not been to the site much recently :frowning:

Anyway, so happy to contribute; Iā€™ve gotten a lot more from this site than other things I have to pay for!

1 Like