Cost report and call for donations

Since you mentioned it, I thought it was kind of odd how the photo system worked here. On my screen the post images or “thumbnails” are bigger than the ones in the gallery view - or whatever its called when you click on a photo.

As @SpokanePeach mentioned, you could definitely cut down on costs by down-scaling everything to something like 1920 pixels on the longest side at upload. But yeah having small thumbnails that load instead of the full images is a good idea too. I think this would mean that you would need to generate a thumbnail image for every full size image uploaded.

1 Like

For .jpg (jpeg) images, the “quality” (loss) factor can be reduced and that can reduce filesize considerably. Most image processing systems have this feature. 80% or 90% quality is very viewable on computer screens.

1 Like

PayPal sent. Just saw this thread, sorry for being so late.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! I love the transparency of your funding. I am posting here mostly so I get notified next time you are looking for donations.

Your post reminds me I should put up another call one of these days. The price has gone up since there is more activity, it is more like $135/month now for all the expenses. The AWS as gone up to $75/month and the Mailgun is now around $10/month.

4 Likes

Paypal sent. Thanks so much for the wonderful forum. Happy Holidays!

ditto

Please remind me how we do it via paypal. Thanks Scott, mrs.g

1 Like

Hi Scott - Could you re-post the Paypal account to send to? Triple-diple-etc Thanks and appreciation!!! Sue

Just chipped in a few bucks. I’m surprised I missed this last year, but glad I caught this one! Thanks for keeping the hamsters on the wheels.

1 Like

Just send to my PayPal, sfs@scottfrasersmith.com. Thanks Sue and others!

I’ll try to post a report on how much came in last time and how much things have cost since then. My memory is we were around $2000 in the black after the previous round in May '19 above. Which means we are roughly $400 in the hole at this point since the expenses in the last 18 months are around $2400.

3 Likes

Scott - is your address still 1620 the terraces, baltimore? I would like to send off a check to help keep this wonderful site up and running. mary

…and make the check payable to Scott Smith?

Yes and yes, thanks.

2 Likes

Zip code?

Just sent my donation!

2 Likes

Check’s in the mail. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Got it (Thanks Olpea!) It’s 21209.

1 Like

Sent, thanks for the reminder

1 Like

Best donation ever spent