Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

That’s on my radar as well, @Luisport.

1 Like

I think i will get it… :grin:

1 Like

I just got one Rosette apple tree… gorgeous!

6 Likes

Rubaiyat. Tasted has improved after I let them hang til this late. Through at least two hard frost.

7 Likes

Taste?

1 Like

I described it here, in the Picture category.

3 Likes

I have:
Baya Marisa
Redlove Odysso
Hidden Rose
Pink Pearl
Surprize
Bloody Ploughman
Pink Princess
Rubaiyat
Purple Passion
Red Devil
Mott’s Pink

3 Likes

I had the same experience this season. My little Rubaiyat tree has been fruiting for several years, but despite the fact that I picked them late, they never developed much sugar. They also seemed a bit dry-fleshed, especially compared to their cousin Christmas Pink. I just picked this year’s crop, though, and they’re excellent - breaking, juicy, and sweet. The flavor is closer to cherry than the usual raspberry.

While I’ve picked them later than this before, we’ve already had a few good frosts this season, and that may indeed have made the difference.

That little tree just obtained tenure in my crowded orchard.

3 Likes

I picked the last few this past Tues before 21F. Prior to that, they went through 25-30 F several times. I could have left them on a few more days but I did not trust squirrels. Rubaiyat was grafted on the top of my Honey Crisp tree. The graft wen straight up to the sky.

I could only bag a few lower ones. The rest were too high up even from the top of a ladder. Well, as expected every single unbagged Rubaiyat was damaged by all kinds of insects.

I did have several that dropped early due to internal damage by bugs. Those drop in mid to late Oct and definitely tart. These late ones tasted more palatable.

I planted out my Otterson on Antonovka. Then the deer ate all the leaves…in August. So, I hope it leaves out and thrives in 2021

Who has experience with “Pink Delight” and could talk about it? Also ‘Red Giant Crab’ from Maple Valley in Wisconsin?

Hello,
Just wondering how your breeding was progressing on the red fleshed apples.

My first ones the seeds sprouted in the 'fridge before I was ready and I lost my first crosses.

But, I’ll try again next year.

New red flesh Surprize apple tree… :grin:

3 Likes

I just got and planted some more red flesh apple trees… :grin:

Hidden Rose
Purple Passion
Pink Princess
Pink pearl

Purple Passion apple:

APPLE Purple Passion – Green Barn Farm (greenbarnnursery.ca)

purple-passion

6 Likes

I just got a rare Scottish variety of red flesh apple, one Bloody Ploughman apple tree…

Apple ‘Bloody Ploughman’

This is an old variety from Carse of Gowrie where a ploughman was shot by a gamekeeper for stealing apples and this apple arose from one of the pips. It is a very distinctive red and ribbed apple. The flesh is stained pink when very ripe and has a crisp and juicy, light taste. It’s season of use is from September to November. Flowering Group 2.

Apple-Bloody-Ploughman-S

11 Likes

I always thought the story and name was interesting. I did not know it was a red fleshed apple though. Makes it even more interesting name to apple story. Not to sound gory. Just the name and seeing it red inside. Thanks for the photos.
The pics make me want to grow one now.

2 Likes

1 Like

There is also a Red Calville Blanc d’Hiver.

4 Likes

Yes there are, but don’t have red flesh… :grin:

This one is a very ribbed big red flesh apple…

2 Likes

I was just thinking that this looked like Calville. Now I find that there is a red variation of it for real! Now I guess I have 2 more apples added to my list of wants :man_facepalming: :rofl:

2 Likes

This variety don’t have nothing to do with calville, just on look… :blush:

1 Like