Fastest growing (non-deciduous) fruit trees for back fence privacy?

We currently have bamboo in our backyard, along the fence, that provides some privacy from our neighbors. We are thinking about getting rid of it. I, of course, suggested fruit trees to my wife as a replacement but she wants year round shading so that limits my choices to mainly citrus? I will need at least 4 trees and probably can’t afford box trees so will want trees that can grow pretty quickly and can provide coverage. Any suggestions? I feel like there are certain lemons that grow really quickly?

Thanks!

Lemon trees grow like crazy.

1 Like

Also feijoa, loquat, white sapote, cherry of the rio grande.

Any opinions on whether Eureka or Lisbon are faster growing?

If you could track down enough of them, Variegated Eureka would make an amazing privacy border. They supposedly get up to 10 or 15 feet tall. Seems to grow pretty quick considering I never protect it well enough to keep the foliage more than a year. Here’s a pick of one I have in a 30 gallon pot(just tossed it in the garage for an upcoming freeze).

3 Likes

Lisbon and Meyer both grow quick. I’m not sure about Eureka.

1 Like

If you have not already reviewed these two topics, you might find some additional information there.

1 Like

Firstly my blue friend, am a red. Eight points clear. Must be tough for evertonians this morn.
Brilliant idea, I know we live in very varying climates. How does papaya do in your climate ? Have you heard of malaina ? Great fast growing tree. Grown in areas where we be pretty much chopped every tree down( yes there are places like that in my country).

1 Like

Haha, very tough to be a blue right now :disappointed_relieved:. I’ve seen a few papayas growing here but I don’t think they’d provide enough privacy. I’ll check out Malaina, never heard of it.

I forgot to mention , malaina can be invasive if not controlled properply

What about Mulberry? Pakistan Mulberry is the fastest growing tree in my yard. You may need to keep pinching the tips to make it a bush form if you want a privacy hedge.

I’ve never considered a mulberry, do they grow quickly? Are the roots invasive at all? These trees will be planted on top of a retaining wall that is about 6 feet wide.

Olive or Avocado?

While Mulberry is very fast growing, it is deciduous.

You are right. I missed the part about non-deciduous requirement

Unfortunately, I’ve had terrible results trying to grow avocados. We’ve had at least two or three that have never done anything eventually died. I’d be interested in an olive, I just don’t know how quickly they grow?

Very slow growing. Unfortunately.

1 Like

@brownmola
Z. 10
Bananas ?

Olives do not grow fast, but apparently easy to transplant old trees. It would be very costly to plant a hedge of mature trees. I was going to say bananas, but I doubt the quality would be great. It is a tough question, because most evergreens I know of are not in a big hurry to grow.

A few people I know grow bananas near me and they are pretty hit and miss. Most of the time time they are very “woody” tasting, and not all that sweet. I may throw one in the sunniest corner of the yard though. I’ve got a friend who often has large plants that I could easily dig out.