Grafting Persimmons

Barkslip,
I appreciate the nots so far. I live in Kent, Wa, temps here are now above 70 but still quite chilly at night mid 50’s. I expect to receive Giant Fuyu scions this week, to graft onto an American Persimmon root stock I saved from a prior nursery stock failure. The root stock diameter is about 1.5” so I intend to try a barkgraft. I have several questions:

1. The root stock is potted, once I complete the graft should I place it in full sun or morning sun only until the scions leaf out?
  2. Should I create a humidity canopy and if so for how long?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I am having good success benchgrafting Persimmons. The key seems to be keeping scion and rootstock dormant in cold storage untel later in the year when temps are in the 70s or 80s

9 Likes

Great Job.

What varieties did you graft?

After a late freeze a few days ago it looked like we were finally done with that for the year.
The most tender growth on some persimmon rootstocks got nipped.

Today I got out and grafted 22 D.Lotus to Saijo, Nishimura Wase (coffeecake) and Russian Kaki.
Maybe tomorrow I’ll get to the next 2 rows of survivors.

2 Likes

Eureka
Maekawa Jiro
Wase Fuyu
Hana Gosho
Saijo
Chinebuli
Pen
Miss Kim
Ichi-ki-kei-jiro
And one Rosseyanka that hasn’t taken yet??

All on D. virginiana.

Thanks to all the scion providers!!

Next year I want to do some hybrids maybe.

7 Likes

If you do not have the information, there are 2 persimmons that carry the name of pen. One is round and the other lengthened.

2 Likes

Good to know. I think the scion I got on that one is still unproven. There doesn’t seem to be much info on Pen

@joleneakamama how do you do your rows of persimmon rootstock? What spacing, etc. I have a few D. v in the ground and some germinated seeds that I’m thinking of putting inground.

Awesome list!

Good choice on rootstock too in my limited experience. Lotus seems finicky.

1 Like

We put them 2 feet apart in nursery rows and the rows are 3 feet apart.
There can be issues with fast growing trees shading out others especially when you end up regrafting some while others grow.
I’m glad we were able to put out what we did in a pernanant planting. It opened things up a lot in the nursery.

The Pen I have came from @cousinfloyd
I planted 2 trees, and I heard it’s very precocious. I’m sure the tree my scion came from will fruit soon or has fruited. Did you like Pen Eric?

1 Like

Hi Dennis,

I happened to read this thread. Be sure if you wish to hear from someone to use the @ sign + their username.

Graft them, keep the growth that continuously shows up on the branch/trunk of the rootstock rubbed off and parafilm/wax over the union in as much sun as you can give the specimen. With a 1.5" spot to graft on, you should put two scions on opposing each other.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks Dax,
Got your message, I have two scions coming, so I will heed your advice, appreciate the help!
Dennis

1 Like

If they grow like mine did, you might be in trouble if you let them go another year in the nursery. Persimmons are the worse to try digging up,

1 Like

@39thparallel We figured that out…they were beasts!

No help for it though. Next year we will use the skidsteer and forks to help dig the trees.

1 Like

Yes, definitely, but I’ve only gotten one or two years of fruit so far. What might be more interesting to everyone are the results from experiments at the Wye Research Station in Maryland. A 2006 Pomona article said that 84 varieties were planted between 1966 and 1984. Of those 84 varieties 44 weren’t surviving as of 1990, apparently mainly due to cold damage, and another 8 had survived to become productive trees but had died within 5 years of the ~2006 report. Taste tests were conducted on 30 of the surviving varieties (almost all astringent varieties; almost all of the non-astringent varieties hadn’t survived.) Mazugata had the highest score (8.5) in those taste tests, although it was only trialed one time. Pen was tied for the second highest score (8.2), an average from five separate trials. The report notes, however, that, “Frankly, almost all of the varieties are pretty good when eaten at their optimum time.” Pen’s fruit is described in the report as astringent, avg. 88 grams (which is smaller than most of the other varieties), round-fruited, and with unblemished skin (no spots, etc.) As far as the tree, the variety is described as growing to 18-20’ tall (which is relatively tall), with 10-12’ spread (roughly average), with good vigor, and light to heavy fruit production.

3 Likes

I had read that it was smaller and one of the top of the taste test at the Wye. And that it was pretty rare. I have two successful grafts of it at present. I’ve had really good results with my persimmon grafts this year.

1 Like

Ewwwe. Maybe I should just pot these!

Their roots like to grow down and deep.
I’d say get them in a permanent place as soon as you can so they can do what they do.

3 Likes

Sounds like they will hold soil well if that solidly rooted! Erosion of topsoil in rain concerns me.

1 Like