How is your weather? (Part 2)

Well the sunshine is at least out. I’ve got 3F here. -30Fs near International Falls right now.

1 Like

Folks in I Falls are a different breed. I couldn’t live up there

1 Like

Next weekend it looks like the guys in the northeast get to have some of the fun while we turn mild.

1 Like

It’s beautiful day, best weather for the roses, low 50s. May rain today. I was thinking how beautiful this morning is and walked around my property, sure enough large Florida mulberry is budding out. Exciting!

It’s been a while; lowest I’ve recorded on the personal weather station this winter was -1.7F. I just got back from checking the orchard. The only safe spot to park is on the side road which means I have to walk the length of the field to get to the solar panel for the electric fence. Got that cleared of ice and snow and put in fresh SD cards for the game cams and trudged back across the field to the truck. As soon as I got back to the house (all of a mile) it was snowing again. I’ve been clearing the snow from the panels daily, it’s getting old.

2 Likes

Do you burn wood or have a minisplit? I’ve burned thru probably a cord or more so far this winter.

Such a bummer considering we haven’t been below zero yet. I’m hoping the this will be a relatively quick blast that shouldn’t do too much damage. Definitely a reality check for zone pushers though.

1 Like

mid 20’s with no wind is about a perfect winter day in the upper tier states or A.K.

the ice fishing derby i usually partake in finishes at 5pm tonight . saw some pics from friends on Facebook that fished. many stuck 3-4times in a foot of slush with a foot of snow on that. glad i decided not to go. getting to damned old to pull out slush filled snowmobiles. a heart attack waiting to happen.

3 Likes

We burn wood if the temps are below 20F, otherwise the wood stove drives you out of the house. Heat is oil fired hot water baseboard. We’re more interested in a mini-split for cooling than heating, but currently just run 2 window units in the warm months. Actually, I should correct myself, the unit we run in the bedroom is a Midea and it’s a window installed mini-split, it’s a pretty neat unit.

2 Likes

Very dry. Mine doesn’t have OAI so its just grabbing air from cracks in the doors/windows/walls/etc–i try to keep the air into the stove at a minimum (its a newer stove). I’ve read that these stoves only use about as much air as a bathroom vent. One issue i run into is forgetting to water my houseplants in winter enough/they dry out very quickly.

I’ll probably put in a minisplit for AC and see how it does with heating next winter. Newer units operate down to -20F but the COP at that temp i’m sure isn’t great. I’d probably try to use it in that 5F to 45F temp range. My nat gas furnace is about toast so i need to do something//one reason i burn wood whenever possible.

10F today and down to 4F currently. Cold out west. Denver sat in the low single digits all day and is currently -2F. Snow in the mountains just east of San Diego.

we have direct air oil furnace. yes its very dry. that reminds me i have to water my citrus.

1 Like

It’s -6 F at my house right now but 20 miles away in this one particular spot in the mountains, it’s -59 F…

A combination of elevation (+3500 ft) and topography…

1 Like

I’ve read about that place. High pressure is right over Id/Montana/Wyoming this morning. Perfect conditions for temps to plummet–clear skies/light wind. Yellowstone Lake in Wyoming is -39F.

I’ve got -3F> Temps didn’t do too much overnight. Warm up by mid week (20Fs).

1 Like

Theoretically could you grow any variety of fruit trees that could survive that temperature?!

Zone 1A (but I’ve seen it colder, which would be Zone 0?)

1 Like

I doubt it. If i remember there isn’t much growing in those sinks.

Cold day in San Diego…mid 50Fs and rain.

2 Likes

We had a rain last night and early this morning. Yay for the rain. Buti want to go out an inspect my plants.

i never realized it got that cold there.

not without some serious protection. what are the summers like? sounds like the Gobi desert that’s 110f in the summer and -100 in winter. except the Gobi is bone dry as well yet people still survive there

Supposedly these apples are hardy to zone 1:

Maybe chokecherries?

1 Like