Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

1. no, you did not include the maternal tissue surrounding the seed
  2. no, it could be any of the three
  3. Plausible but not proven and needs a lot more data and tests to determine
  4. Highly unlikely, reduced or removed astringency probably depends on directly inherited recessives

Additional information: the cotyledons are typically called endosperm and are usually triploid with 2 copies of the genome from the female parent and once copy from the pollen donor. The germ is diploid with one copy of the genome from the female and another from the pollen donor. The seed coat is maternal tissue that does not normally share any traits with the germ or endosperm. Tissue surrounding the seed including the vascular bundles that feed the seed as it grows are maternal tissue. Seed born effects from pollen most often affect the germ and endosperm (maize). Rarely, it affects the maternal tissue including in some cases the entire ovule (plants that exchange chemical signals between the mother plant and the growing embryo). Have you noticed that a poorly pollinated apple may be lopsided, small, or drop from the tree? These are examples of xenia and/or metaxenia.

Thanks. Some follow-up –

1. I didn’t include “maternal tissue surrounding the seed” because the published research that I’ve read states that the seed produces the ethanol / acetaldehyde, not the maternal tissue. It seems unlikely to me that experts know that the seed produces ethanol but not what part of the seed. Meanwhile, the maternal tissue is treated like a by-stander.

2. OK. Is any one of these possibilities more likely? Like, I don’t know but I suspect that the seed coat is passive.

3. Yes, of course it’s unproven. I’ll settle for “plausible.”

4. OK but how do you explain the JT-02? Does the fruit merely appear PVNA but really isn’t?

This question relates to @PharmerDrewee’s observations above. Has anyone else used a PVNA to pollinate a PCA? Has the seeded PCA fruit shown any signs of PVNA dynamics – for example, early loss of astringency, brown flesh?

I will likely have JT02 and Kasandra pollinated by Maru (pvna) in a few weeks. Maybe even Nikita’s gift but that tree is not nearby so I am not sure.

4 Likes

I hope you plant all these seeds or find someone to. There are some interesting genetics in those seeds.

3 Likes

Hybrid persimmon Dar Sofiyivky - #71 by JustPeachy Reference for those looking for JT-02 pictures. Don’t want to double post pictures.

1 Like

@JustPeachy – That statement was made in 2018. Does @Harbin still believe it?

Go read the date on the post I responsed to in the other thread. There is a reason I posted there.

@JustPeachy – Done. I get it. See my response. I have a JT-02 fruit on a graft. I think I actually published pictures a couple weeks ago. Here are two pictures taken 10/23.

5 Likes

Looks good.

A comparison of my IKKJ, JT-02, and Kassandra fruits.

Yes today I picked the JT-02 in the picture above.

1 Like

JT02 vs Nikita’s gift side by side. NG is more red

JT02 — 24 brix
NG - 22.5 brix

JT02 ripens atleast one week earlier than NG

flavor wise they are very similar except for slightly higher sweetness/honeyed flavorof JT02. But that might be individual variation.
NG is more firm when ripe. JT02 is softer.
NG fruit seems slightly larger.

Both fruits were pollinated by Maru. I will grow the seeds out or send out to the community.

25 Likes

Absolutely love this! Thank you for the detailed comparative review @ramv !

1 Like

Here are the remainder of my JT-02 this year. Do these look right? @tonyOmahaz5 @SMC_zone6 @KYnuttrees @mamuang

12 Likes

YES, those are correct

NICE , in some year they are darker much darker

4 Likes

Yes. Looks great. I bought the JT-02 from Cliff and passed on the scions to you I believed.

Tony

2 Likes

Yes, Tony. Thank you so much for sharing this one with me. It’s very tasty. Can’t wait to have more in the coming years.

Thanks for confirming @KYnuttrees I’m looking forward to growing more of these hybrids.

1 Like

I think We all should cross the heck out of JT-02 every chance we get. It is super cold hardy, late to leafed out in Z5 so don’t have to worry about late frost and very tasty. Use both Hybrid males and Kaki males. It got good parentage.

Tony

8 Likes

I don’t know. I am quite confused. What are the characteristics of JT-02? The leaves, the size and the shape of the fruit?

My “JT-02” fruit’s size is similar to @PharmerDrewee but the shape of the fruit from the same tree varied a bit.

The leaves when green looked like this.

In the fall, they turned yellow, not red.

7 Likes

I agree totally. The parentage is very robust.

It would seem especially promising to cross with a male Kaki PCNA, which would produce some hybrid non-astringent offspring.

I’ll repeat my suggestion that we try Taishu, if we can acquire it. Taishu is, of course, the male parent of JT-02. The two main benefits of using Taishu: (1) It is known to produce male flowers, and (2) It has diverse PCNA parentage (Fuyu, Jiro, x-gosho).

1 Like