Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Thanks @Hillbillyhort @LarryGene for the id. Isn’t it same as the cucumber beatle?

I’ve got 2 problems. One on a blueberry, and the second on a blackberry. I guess the first is drought? I was never all that good about watering enough once it gets hot and I only recently got an automated watering system in place. The second I guess is some kind of fungus. A 2 part spray of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to create peracetic acid seems to have stopped the spread, but I could be fooling myself.

Do I have these right?

Good question. Maybe, @clarkinks will know what it is. Clark grows a lot of pears.

Thanks @mamuang. In the next day or two I’m probably going to remove the affected leaves, provided there will be enough leaves left on the tree … I think there will be. They are small trees so it won’t take much time. I’ll put the leaves into a paper bag for eventual burning.

2 Likes

IL847: " Isn’t it same as the cucumber beatle?"

ID: Beetles and plant bugs are in different insect orders and are not remotely related.

Or are you asking about damage or treatment? Bug nymphs deform leaves; beetles chew holes in them. It is harder to control adult beetles than it is to control bug nymphs.

2 Likes

@erics_tiny_orchard

That is pear rust its very common among flowering pears so it spreads quickly to our fruiting type pears. There are many types Pear Rust

2 Likes

Thank you @clarkinks for the reply and the link to the Pear Rust thread. I will read it very carefully.

1 Like

Have the spots on those leaves developed further? If they stay flat like you mentioned, you have a very mild case, I guess.

1 Like

Thanks, looks like it :frowning_face:

Not much to do then unless it doesn’t produce. There are no other apples here and seems that it’s not something transmissible without mechanical action. I’ll have to make sure to keep up hygiene when pruning.

It’s on M111 and this is the first year since planting in early 2018 that it looks like I’ll have a chance at some fruit… no more than 10 apples though. Will monitor to see if virus affects the fruit.

Probably won’t be at this property long enough to worry about trying to replace it unless it’s producing nothing.

@spurious
I did not know what it was until this year. These past 2-3 years, I have pruned that tree without cleaning my pruner when moving on to other trees. This year I have noticed some leaves on other apple trees have shown sign of the virus!!. That’s too bad.

It has not affected the fruit’ quality or production. Only the leaves that just look unsightly.

1 Like

The spots only developed in the last week or two, so it’s early. I just checked and I think they are starting to increase in diameter a little. They seem to be staying flat so far. I started removing leaves yesterday but I only got about 1/3 to 1/2 of them so far. I’m going to try and get all the infected leaves removed by saturday. I’m really curious to see if new leaves get infected after that.

I have never seen something so thick and cream cheese like, on leaves. In this case it’s on Azalea, but I’m worried it may spread to my other, fruit trees. Does anyone know what it is? I do suspect it’s a fungus

@kakasamo
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/azaleagall.pdf

1 Like

Can you all help newcomer…had apple trees as hobby and this year decided to start grafting. Tried 25 wolf river cultivars to a malus dolgo rootstock…i’m creating trees for deer mostly!

see these photos. i’m horrible at identifying diseases, can’t tell if these new leaves have powdery mildew or is this just the way new growth looks for this cultivar? its all 25 of them have where backside is white and felt like or like feels like hairs.

I am not sure if you have powdery mildew or not. It’s hard to tell from the picture. Wolf River is rated resistant to powdery mildew by Purdue University. So I would expect you would see it on your other apple trees if it is present in your orchard.

This is what I suggest you do. Take a look at these pictures of powdery mildew. And get a feel for what it looks like.

https://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/apple-diseases/powdery-mildew/

Then try to find susceptible varieties on this chart that are located in your orchard.

For example Jonathan is very susceptible in the chart. Then go out to the susceptible varieties in your orchard and see if they have powdery mildew it should be easier to tell since the infection should be much worse. You can then can compare infected shoots (if you have any) on the susceptible trees to your Wolf River grafts. If you can’t find powdery mildew on the susceptible varieties in your orchard I think it is likely your Wolf River grafts aren’t infected.

@BeeventBuzz
Wolf river and other varieties have naturally fuzzy leafs on new growth. Looks ok to me .

Today I noticed a disease unknown to me on one of the lowest branches of my pear. The variety is Talgarian beauty. The foliage is all healthy, it’s just some pears turned black. What may this be?

I found these two flies/bees? struggling in the water. would anyone tell me they are good guy or bad guy. thanks

any ideas? Little fruits also have black spots on them. I dont think ita fire blight but I just got this new house. This is on a granny Smith tree.

IL847: Both insects have heads typical of flies. Otherwise, details are too distorted for exact IDs.
They do not appear to be fruit flies or saw flies.

1 Like