Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Evil Weevil(was).

2 Likes

Thanks Brady. So looking up Evil Weevil I get just a few different answers from universities. Mainly either borers or destroyers of Palm Trees. This was from a blueberry plant from Matsuda Nursury. Even though it’s probably too late. Guess I should let them know jic?

I found this on my newly planted and multigrafted Asian Pair tree today. I’m thinking this bug can’t be a good one. Maybe a fruit fly?

I was being funny,with the evil part,but it is a Weevil of some sort.
Every insect won’t get screened out,during the business of growing plants,so one probably doesn’t matter too much.Now,if there were a bunch of them,then yes I’d be concerned.

1 Like

Yeah EvilWeevil is a thing. First I figured you were jk Brad but it was a name and a serious foe for date farmers? Scary name. It’s also apparently a popular fly for fly fishing :fishing_pole_and_fish: Catchy name for that!

1 Like

From what I can tell, this is peach tree borer, but I cant’ find any holes.

This is the first I’ve seen of this with this tree, and the season seems off, so I wonder if it stayed below ground last year. There’s about 1/4 cup of the grass.

I excavated a few inches around the tree and could not locate any hole that I could poke a coat hanger into. However, part of the trunk beneath ground is definitely missing. I also notice on one side of the tree some additional darker material… is that from this year?

1 Like

I confirmed the 4th picture next to the green coat hanger was a borer larvae. Now to figure out how to treat, and what to do if I can’t find a hole.

I am still curious if the red/brown frass indicates more recent activity.

Tons of them on my blueberries, peaches, blackberries, etc… “Whitefly”?

Looks like white fly

2 Likes

Pear trees. I do not know if these are different problems or the same problem. I thought maybe the second one was blossom blast, but then the leaves had holes.

Trees have been sprayed with fall oil, late dormant oil/sulfur, then copper and sulfur again (2.5 weeks after oil). I had a bad mite problem last year. This at least is only affecting a few trees and looks different than that mite damage did.

At the start of bloom I sprayed them with streptomycin but there was a sudden rainstorm about 1.5 hours later- I meant to spray again but it never worked out with my job and the windy weather.

I have many pear trees and only a few have issues right now - it is definitely possible I missed them when spraying or didn’t get them coated enough. Or something like that.

Also, these have just passed petal fall if that helps. Thanks for any IDs or advice!

Has anyone else noticed aphids on goumi? One of my bushes is just horribly infested this year. Oddly they don’t seem to be doing much damage. Most of the new leaves look like this:

They will concentrate on venation and leaf will eventually distort.
Don’t trust them as far as you can throw them.

2 Likes

I was hoping something that eats them would come along, but no signs yet. Guess I could get a box of lacewings or ladybugs but most years I’ve got plenty of ladybugs in the yard and never see much of an aphid problem.

I’ve never seen a dragonfly that rested with the front wings held up (like a damselfly) and the rear wings down (like a normal dragonfly).

1 Like

That is odd; did the insect fly normally?

I didn’t see it fly, so I’m not sure. I spotted it there and took those photos and kept walking. It seemed alive, at least, though. It shifted a bit as I got close, but didn’t take off.

Anyone know what this is? It appeared to be looking for mites or pollen or something on leaf surfaces, not actually eating the leaves. Some kind of beetle larvae maybe?

EDIT: Google seems to think it’s a “snakefly” larvae, and if so then that’s great news as it’s a predator. Here’s what WSU has to say about snakeflies generally:

Snakeflies are found only in western North America. Larvae live under the bark of forest, ornamental and fruit trees and can be very helpful predators in fruit orchards. Adults also are predaceous.

It’s on an avocado tree in my greenhouse:

2 Likes

I have two pear trees with pests… thinking an application of surround may help, but would love to know what these are:

Pear Tree 1 - curling leaves and color is pale. These guys were present:

Pear Tree 2 - Color is pale, and these guys were present:

Hybrid Plum tree - this pest (same as Pear 2) is present, though no apparent harm yet:

#1 has a caterpillar and aphid, both are bad in large number since they eat leaves or sap, resp.

#2 could be a psyllid (if so also a sap sucker). They’re hard to catch since they jump.

1 Like

The second picture looks like a Pear slug and the bottom two are of Sharpshooters.

1 Like