Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Thanks for confirming. I’m glad it’s not a disease that could spread. New growth seem to be healthy so far.

1 Like

This bugger is messing with a gooseberry. He likes the new leaves. He has been dispatched, though i have seen a couple. What is he?

1 Like

I got a lot of these on my mint too.

1 Like

Any thoughts on what this bug is? Seems like a large black stink bug type insect. Notice the orange tips on antenna. Seems to be more square/rectangle than oval as stink bugs are. This one was trapped in a spider web but have been seeing them also on Apple trees.

1 Like

Leaf-footed Bug, Acanthocephala terminalis

3 Likes

Friend or foe in the orchard?

1 Like

Probably more foe than friend but likely not that harmful. They are known to feed on Hickory, Goldenrod, Boneset, Joe-Pye weed, Staghorn Sumac, River Grape, and Nine-bark. They may be a minor pest to fruits, nuts, and vegetables but I can’t find much information regarding this. Doesn’t seem like something to worry about, definitely not as problematic as the brown marmorated stink bugs.

2 Likes

For me, leaf-footed bug is one of the main pests. It mostly attacks pomegranates but also figs, tomatoes and apricots.

2 Likes

Who eggs are these? Should I let them develop or destroy ?

1 Like

Do they have hairlike things in a circle near the tops?If so,probably Stinkbug eggs.bb

2 Likes

These are too tiny to tell. If I remember right, stink bugs’ eggs are little bigger.

1 Like

Clusters like that are usually moth or true bug (hemiptera) and often turn out to be pests. You might leave 10% and see what hatches.

2 Likes

I went back to pick the leaf off now and found out whatever it was there is all gone now without any trace. Amazing, just overnight

2 Likes

Some predator insect must have gotten to them. There should have been some residue of the egg attachments to identify the leaf by.

3 Likes

If some predators got them them I am relieved. There were about hundreds of eggs if a bad bug and eggs were all hatched, I will be in big trouble. Interesting thing is there is no trace of evidence that place had so many bug eggs there the day before. If I didn’t took that pictures, I could be thinking I was insane

2 Likes

Im hoping somebody can come to my aid in identifying the ailment of my carmine jewel cherry bush. It has been a relatively wet spring this year so i believe whe is succumbing to a fungus of sorts, perhaps american brown rot?

Here are some photos

2 Likes

My guess is bacterial canker.

https://extension.psu.edu/cherry-disease-bacterial-canker

It could also be what ails my plant every Spring,Brown Rot Blossom Blight.I bought some Spectracide Immunox to try next year.bb

Any thoughts on what this “rust” is? Seemed to show up very quickly on a number of younger Apple trees after a period of hot and wet weather. Interesting that there is also nibbled leaves nearby.

1 Like

Noticed Dapple Dandy has some kind of issue. It recently developed black knot and now the leaves are starting to turn and look sick. Its also happening on limbs that do not have black knot. Any idead?

1 Like