My mulberry and other fruits collection

Thank you Luis, yeah it’s hard work and dangerous, I am amazed about the people who either don’t believe in the Covid or are anti masks… They should come and see the people that are in the hospitals, in ventilators and dying, but I don’t Want to get political. Let’s concentrate on our fruits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But it’s true… so stupid! Just regret when near death moment.

1 Like

I saw it happening… “it will never happen to me… It’s only a flue…”… Went to the ventilator and never came through… Sad sad times…

1 Like

Nem me digas nada, até me passo! Mudando de assunto…

1 Like

How cold hardy is it, do you know?

1 Like

@lilke
Other Premium Cultivars of Persimmons are
Ko Jong Si / 고 종 시, FAU FAU – A well-known French cultivar
Zone 6 or Higher

1 Like

I’ll ask for some scion when you’ll have it :blush:

1 Like

Great to hear. In the end I went for the sugar cube alba variety as I figured it was better suited to the NL climate. Any good experience with that?

1 Like

Another big feijoa bush to add to my feijoa hedge

3 Likes

And planted

4 Likes

Hopefully in a few days or weeks I’ll be receiving some scions of some Mulberry cultivars I’ve been looking for years.
I will try to graft them BUT last year all the grafts I tried outside in early spring failed (lost all silk hope scions a generous member here sent me) I did cleft barks essencially. Any suggestion?
Whip and tongue? Modified cleft bark? Bark graft? And about the timing?

Still winter here, none of the root stocks are awake yet, maybe 1 or 2 more months for that.
Should I wait for spring or graft immediately maybe with cleft grants again.
I’ll try and graft in potted rootstock maybe to keep them under control…
Thanks

Carl if you want, send me a stick of whatever you want to graft. Mulberries are really easy, I don’t think I ever failed a single one. I got about 10 rootstocks ready, wanted to keep them for my shahtoots and pakistani but I can get more. Just write me what you want to propagate and number of trees and I will ship them to you in the autumn, it’s the least I can do for you after what you did for me. By the way I decapitated your capitata to save it after the shock from transport and it’s already leafing out! I am really happy about it! I wanted to take picture while grafting today but forgot…

3 Likes

my rootstocks are quite thin, so the thinner the scionwood the better

1 Like

Tks Paul :slight_smile:
The scions haven’t arrived yet, once they arrive I speak with you :slight_smile:
So happy the capitata survived :))))) excellent news Paul!
What about the Aracas? How are they?

One of the scions i am hopeful it will arrive is the Himalayan Mulberry I’ve been looking for years, world’s best and four seasons Mulberry should arrive also.

:slight_smile:

The aracas are in a cold greenhouse now, not growing. I am not going to take them out till mid April before I plant them in ground, will have to cut down the yellow one, I would like to start the canopy somewhat lower.
The capitata is in my grow room and it’s doing fine so far (will also go outside to permanent spot with Aracas). If your mulberry scions come dormant you can keep them in fridge till your rootstocks wake up. If they come from a tropical country like Thailand you need to graft asap on non-dormant rootstock so let me know if I should “start up” my mulberries rootstocks now. I got World’s Best already, available to you in case you don’t receive it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Paul
The scions are coming from California, I suppose the weather is similar as mine, zone 9b and winter. Same temperature ranges, it should be dormant scions.
Not sure if I should put the scions in the fridge once they arrive and wait for Spring to graft (March maybe), or if I should place a few unnamed mulberries I have in pots already in a greenhouse to start their awakening soon and be able to graft the scions as soon as they arrive.

My collection of mulberries is getting quite big lol…
So far I have:

. Oscar
. Shangri la
. Pakistan
. Pakistan clone 10
. Saharanpur / white pakistan
. Weeping fruiting 2 types of trees
. Collier
. Bistrica
. Moldovan Pink
. Lavender
. Sugar cube
. Sangue e latte
. Illinois everbearing
. Wellington
. Nigra aalst
. Nigra Regina
. Nigra king James II
. Nigra AGM
. Nigra Portuguese (century old tree on one of my lands)
. Nigra UK
. Nigra Italian unnamed
. Nigra German unnamed
. Gerardi dwarf (died, but just bought 2 more also)
. “Portugal” Mulberry
. “Madeira” Mulberry
. Gelso Nero - black Italian hybrid
. Gelso Rosso - red italian hibrid
. Black Italian
. Morus boninensis - Japanese endangered cultivar
. Morus Kagayeme
. Morus latifolia
. And quite a few more albas or more possibly híbrids bought at local Portuguese markets or brought from some Portuguese villages, they are Unknow cultivars and selected only if known to fruit well

Might be forgetting a few more ahah

Also just bought a few more 2-3 y old Mulberry cultivars, waiting for them to arrive
I should be getting in a few weeks:
. Kokuso
. Mojo berry
. Mulberry Hunza black
. Mulberry Townsend
. Neapoli Mulberry
. Ruups Romanian Mulberry
. Yugoslavia Mulberry
. Macroura X alba “Pink”

I think I’ll put some potted mulberries in the greenhouse to awake them early and graft the scions as soon as they arrive… Hmm

4 Likes

You are the mulberry king!
If from CA you can keep them in the fridge till ready for grafting. If you got some rare ones you don’t want to miss you can send me a bud or two and I will graft them for you (don’t want them for myself, I am fine with my white shahtoot, pakistani and gerardi, no more space for mulberries). You can probably get like 100 chickens and it will feed them all once they reach full production haha)

1 Like

You will have the bigest mulberry collection here in Portugal! :+1:

1 Like

Well, today more Mulberry cultivars arrived from Dithmar @ http://demoerbeiboom.be/
As always packing was perfect and all arrived fast and safe. Spent the afternoon planting them in the orchard.
Cant wait for spring :slight_smile:

Some of them are new to me, others are 2nd buys (already had some of them and bought more :slight_smile: )

and planted

. GERARDI

. MORUS NIGRA AALST

. YUGOSLAVIA

. RUUP’S ROUMANIAN

. ILLINOIS EVERBEARING

. PINK

. WELLINGTON

. NEAPOLI

. SUGAR CUBE

. BLACK ITALIAN

3 Likes

Congratulations! :+1:
I already have my madeira mulberry with leaves and small fruits and black and white pakistan sprouting…

1 Like