Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

@ramv Have you tried partially dehydrating the figs prior to freezing? Not only do they take up less freezer space, but they stay soft and chewy when frozen.

2 Likes

You mean pluots? I was at my local Co-op today and they had Flavor King. Had to buy just one. It was great. My local Safeway carries only 1 pluot and it’s not even identified. Seems like Co-ops carry more varieties of pluots than standard grocery stores.

Johann, too much work. I have too many figs and too little time.

Pawpaws are starting to swell. I have exactly a dozen fruit

3 Likes

I will look around to see if I can find some this week. Does your coop have a name, I have Flavor King scions growing this spring so maybe I can taste som in a year or so. Does your coop actually ID their varieties

Hi Dennis,
Were you able to acquire the actual ‘Adara’ cultivar or are these scions from the volunteer P. cerasifera you found growing near your home? (‘Adara’ is a select clone of P. cerasifera, but not to be applied to any P. cerasifera other than the select clone given that name).

I have both, I bought 3 Adara grafted onto Livel Peach rootstock. These have grown vigorously and now I need to topwork with my plum varieties, so if you know someone who can use them I have plenty now
Dennis

2 Likes

Should say Lovell peach rootstock

Hi Dennis, I can definitely use Adara. I am trying to convert a beauty plum to European.
However I am unsure if the green grafts will take so late in the season. I am happy to try though.

They have been taking for me, just need to keep them fresh and use quickly, limit the scion to 3 good buds and protect from hot sun a week or so with aluminum foil. If you want to come get them early AM is best to use them that day. Let me know for certain
Dennus

1 Like

Winn @swincher got me started on checking the pluot displays at Co-ops. He posted pictures last month from his PCC in West Seattle. You can find your closest PCC here:

Unlike at regular grocery stores, the pluot varieties here are labeled.

However, I definitely got two entirely different pluots at the same store a few days apart, both labeled as Dapple Jack. So it may be a case of inaccurate labeling at times.

I agree with drying (even partially drying) being the very best fig preservation method. The figs take on an incredible rich caramel taste. I used to struggle to find recipes to use up my DK figs…not anymore. Great Christmas presents.

1 Like

Good to hear I may check it out
Ok I found two in Fred Meyer today, they appear to be Flavor King and Flavor Supreme

My Nadia and Sweet Treat 8.15.22

6 Likes

Wow Vincent
Those are beautiful
Dennis

1 Like

Really,which Fred Meyer?I’ve never seen them in an FM.There is one called Plumogranate,from Family Tree Farms,that resembles Flavor King,outwardly and has deep reddish/purple flesh,but the only other Pluots,they’ve had,were Dapple Dandy/Dino Eggs.

Auburn FM, they are not labeled so you cannot be sure of variety

Does anyone have recommendations for semi firm to firm texture japanese and european plums? i find myself wanting to store plums but the soft texture plums tends to burst.

I too prefer ‘meaty’ plums- like Imperial Epineuse - rather than bags of juice like Shiro. Plums labeled ‘prune plums’ have a meaty texture. They are also excellent dried. Many varieties of late Italian plums are considered prune plums. They ripen last for me. Imperial Epineuse are ripe now.

2 Likes