Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

would you please let us know if Cardinal is earliest as advertised by nurseries?

1 Like

Pollination appears to make the fruit larger IME.

1 Like

Started over when Cardinal unexpectedly died last winter. Tree still small.

2 Likes

I dig in my shovel around the dripline, jimmy it back and forth, and fill the ā€œcrevasseā€ with biochar.

For more info, check out: biochar Forum at permies
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

My name is Sarah and I live in Shingletown California, which is in Shasta County. We are at 4200 foot elevation and zone 8a.
Last year we had a horrific winter, it lasted for six months.
So far this year we have had rain but no snow and now I see on the forecast that they are predicting snow on December 1. Last year it started snowing on November 1 so thatā€™s a whole month later for this year.
I keep hearing about El NiƱo and Iā€™m wondering how it will affect us but so far I feel like weā€™re having a milder winter.
How is everyone elseā€™s weather going out there? I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving if you celebrate it.

3 Likes

Shingletown, interesting place. Iā€™ve never ventured far from I-5 at that latitude in CA.
Freezing level in Portland has remained high so far, sometimes near 10000 feet.

You are in a boom-or-bust area for winter weather year2year.

1 Like

Anyone in BC that has female persimmon scions for trade later this winter? I can trade apple scions / prune plum scions / anjou or bartlett pear scions or else pay for shipping. Feel free to PM me.

2 Likes

That is for sure last year it seemed like winter lasted over half the year and we had snow November 1. This year we had a drop to 22f one night and as of today, December 3rd, no real snow yet. Tons of rain last 3 days.

1 Like

How did your Mishirasu turn out? (I think the early fall weather wasnā€™t ideal this year unfortunately!)

I know the Mount Vernon reports have praised this variety but Iā€™m curious to hear about your experience since itā€™s fairly uncommon.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s typical for the West, especially the NW, during an El NiƱo, but looking at these charts it seems like it can fluctuate a lot depending on which part of the winter youā€™re talking about, and how strong the El NiƱo is:

Based on the latest NOAA forecast, we should probably be looking at the bottom row in each of those figures above:

The most recent IRI plume favors El NiƱo to continue through the Northern Hemisphere spring 2024. Based on latest forecasts, there is a greater than 55% chance of at least a ā€œstrongā€ El NiƱo (ā‰„ 1.5Ā°C in NiƱo-3.4 for a seasonal average) persisting through January-March 2024. There is a 35% chance of this event becoming ā€œhistorically strongā€ (ā‰„ 2.0Ā°C) for the November-January season. Stronger El NiƱo events increase the likelihood of El NiƱo-related climate anomalies, but do not necessarily equate to strong impacts (see CPC seasonal outlooks for probabilities of temperature and precipitation). In summary, El NiƱo is anticipated to continue through the Northern Hemisphere spring (with a 62% chance during April-June 2024).

1 Like

While the size of the Mishirasu was very impressive - like a small papaya- the texture was too crunchy for me and not all that sweet. As the top tier of an asian pear espalier, its growth was vigorous and it fruited in its second year. But for me the best Asian pears have a complex flavor (like Chojuro) to offset their crunchiness. Iā€™m going to replace it this year.

2 Likes

Also, it used to come out of the can as one blob that even had the inner can markings on it - now it is a sauce consistency.

They have definitely changed it from when I was a kid.

2 Likes

Total Tomato Fail 2023

I have a lot of tomato seeds but I think these things went wrong:

1. Varieties I picked might be longer season (I will verify this)

2. Didnā€™t get started early enough (LONG winter in 2022/2023)

3. Failed to protect at 22f because the weather forecast said above freezing

I need help picking short season tomatoes, I will be doing a new ā€œtomato trialā€ for the 2024 season.

This place was recommended to me, anyone have any experience and/or input on the ā€œearlyā€ tomato varieties to choose from here:

Early Season Tomato Seeds | Tomato Growers Supply Company

Being flavorful is a requirement, I can get all the tasteless tomatoes I want at the grocery store.

Having at least one of them to be a short stacker would be good as I do have 4ā€™ x 4ā€™ raised beds that have a structure of hardware cloth around them, to keep out critters but let in pollinators. Sides are 3ā€™ and roof peak in center is 4ā€™.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Seems almost warm outside this morning! Looks like itā€™ll be great day for catching up on those outside chores. Always funny when it warms up overnight quickly enough that it is colder inside the greenhouse for a bit before it catches up:

We got snow yesterday but it never went below freezing so it didnā€™t stick

5 Likes

I am in Seattle zone 9a, can I put my Yuzu Lemon tree and my Miho-Wase Satsuma Mandarin outside in-ground unprotected year round? I have a sunny slope against my garage wall.

2 Likes

@SeattleSatch Iā€™m South of Seattle about 20 minutes and have a 3-4 year old grafted yuzu in ground right up against the south wall of our garage that I only protected the first 2 winters. Last winter I forgot about the tree and it did just fine unprotected with very minimal die back at the tips. I donā€™t plan on protecting it anymore unless we see temps below 20 for an extended period of time and even then I would mostly be focused on protecting the graft union more than anything else since I was foolish and did not plant the graft union under the soil line.

3 Likes

If youā€™re in 9a, yuzu should to fine as long as itā€™s planted in a well drained spot. I managed to keep some in ground yuzus alive for a few years without protection in what I now realize is zone 7b. They finally died after two hard winters in a row, but your spot being a zone and a half warmer should be great.

3 Likes

PLC spray experiment:

I am running an experiment to test controlling peach leaf curl in our climate using sprays that have low toxicity levels. Varieties included in the tests (except Spice Zee & Red Haven) are supposed to be resistant to PLC yet reports here confirm they still get PLC. These trees are small enough to spray frequently within 5 minutes and obtain maximum coverage. I will be adding a bare root Redhaven tree to the test sometime in the spring when it gets delivered from the nursery.

Varieties:

1. Nanaimo Peach
  2. Landt Peach
  3. Pacific Pride - Nectarine
  4. Morton - Nectarine
  5. Spice Zee - Nectaplum
  6. Redhaven - Peach

Spray ingredients & Frequency:

1. December and January - Hydrogen Peroxide (Oxidate 2.0) @ 1 oz in a gallon of water. Once a week during a day of gap in rain.

2. February to May - Hydrogen Peroxide (Oxidate 2.0) @ 1 oz in a gallon of water. Followed by 2-4 hr gap and spray Monterey Complete Disease Control fungicide - 2 TBS in a gallon of water with 1 tsp Nufilm sticker (double dose). Once a week.

3. May to October - Monterey Complete Disease Control - 2 TBS in a gallon of water with 0.5 tsp Nufilm sticker. Twice every month as time permits.

Welcome any inputs and opinions.

2 Likes

Is that the product name?I couldnā€™t find information about it.