Pawpaw, Emerald Beaut Plum and others fruits trees in Seattle areas Pacific Northwest

Vincent, I think before you add supplements to your soil, you should get it tested. Here is why. Most northwest soils are very high in potassium already, low in calcium and magnesium, and very acidic. Some soils are high in phosphorus. However, different neighborhoods vary, and for some people, different parts of their property can vary.

My trees had leaves like that too. I thought, maybe, they need iron. I sent soil off to be tested. The result was, my soil was very acidic (5.0), low magnesium, low calcium, and iron many times more than the highest level in the test. I should not have been too surprised - there are rust colored flakes throughout the soil. My organic matter was quite high.

Based on that result, I added dolomite lime, and boosted magnesium with Epsom salts. The leaves greened up nicely and growth was better.

Compared to the cost, especially in time and effort, of your trees and other plants, the cost of a soil test is not bad at all. Less than one tree, in many cases. Maybe your soil doesn’t need anything, or maybe it needs more of one thing and not of another. It’s hard to predict, because of construction, land grading, agriculture, glacial activity, historic volcanic activity and geologic events, etc.

simplysoiltesting.com This is the place I used. They gave a detailed report, and recommendations. This is a Washington State company, I’m sure there are lots of other choices too.

Complete test is #32, the basic test is $16.

6 Likes

EThank you so much for all information Daniel
Below picture of my Wells pawpaw was not leaf out since Winter. And its previous year picture and some young shots come back for now. I might not fertilizer again or use only very little amount every time later.

2 Likes

Vincent, last year two of my pawpaw trees died at the graft, and new trees emerged from below the graft. Those new ones will probably be ok if they bear fruit, just not the original cultivar. I think pawpaws are just grafted onto seedlings from named varieties that might be similar to their parents.

I wonder of pawpaws have a graft incompatibility problem, similar to what chestnuts sometimes have. They either don’t take, or grow for a while then die.

I also have seedlings, “sunflower” x “nc-1”. They are two years old, very slow growers.

2 Likes

Yes,they have been known sometimes to be that way.Seedlings are best.bb

4 Likes

Potomac Peterson pawpaw grows really fast.
Below my Potomac planted last Fall 2019.

4 Likes

Giombo persimmon, promising variety for Pacific Northwest. Will updating.(July 18.20)

(upload://o9YN9ahdIWUUpC0eXugomY9cP2n.jpeg)

7 Likes

Thanks for your photos Vincent. How is Giombo compared with Saijo development at this stage? Fruit more advanced?

3 Likes

@ramv. Yes. Giombo fruits getting big faster than Saijo. Still waiting and keep updating at the end of the season. But Saijo trees grows straight up more beautiful shape for landscaping.

8 Likes

Hosui Asian Pear fruit is the best tasting score pear in Dave Wilson nursery, but they’re no fruit in Pacific Northwest Seattle areas for the last 4 years. It will be replaced with Kikusui variety in next Fall.
Lê Nhật Hosui luôn đạt giải nhất về chất lượng trái cây ở vườn ươm Dave Wilson nhưng không thể có trái được trong 4 năm liền ở vùng Tây Bắc. Sẽ được thay thế bởi lê Kikusui trong mùa Thu tới.

4 Likes

It is so funny that the Vietnamese translation is much more formal that what I will do. :wink:

2 Likes

Did they translate close to what I described .

2 Likes

The main idea, yes.
For an example
“không thể có trái được” means " couldn’t " or “unable to have fruit”
“they’re no fruit” simply means “didn’t have fruit” or “không có trái”
I am no expert so that is just for fun. I really appreciate your work. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you @anon18642480
I tried to read how they translated but not working on my account. So fun.

2 Likes

This is what I got from back translating Vietnamese to English by using Google translate

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate+vietnamese+to+english&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS608US608&oq=google+translate+viet&aqs=chrome.0.0l8.21056j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Le Nhat Hosui always won the first prize for fruit quality at the Dave Wilson nursery but could not have had fruit for 4 consecutive years in the Northwest. Will be replaced by pear Kikusui in the coming Fall.

This is what I got from translating your paragraph to Vietnamese using Google translate. I don’t like the results either.

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate+english+to+vietnamese&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS608US608&oq=google+translate+english+to+vietnamese&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.31383j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Quả lê Pearui Asian Pear là quả lê có vị ngon nhất trong vườn ươm Dave Wilson, nhưng họ không có quả ở khu vực Tây Bắc Thái Bình Dương trong 4 năm qua. Nó sẽ được thay thế bằng giống Kikusui trong mùa thu tới.

You can see that it is very easy to translate anything by Google translate. However, to have it as a native does is something esle. I am not going to get involve anymore because I am not an expert in this. :wink:

fruit = quả = trái

3 Likes

So interesting. At least it helps the main meaning what we would like to say. Before I know a couple were living together with small dictionary book. If they had google translate must be a lot better for them at that time over 20 years ago.
Thank you so much for your work. I liked it a lot.

2 Likes

Pawpaw updates on July 30.20

!

8 Likes

6 Likes

Beautiful. I’m envious. I’ve never seen such large pawpaw trees for sale as the ones you got. They were bigger than my several years in the ground ones.

My Allegheny graft has a few - or this could be Shenendoah. It’s at my former house where my mom now lives. The soil is poor and very well drained. The little branch is bent over nearly to the ground:

5 Likes

Congrats Jafar. At least you have some pawpaw fruits from your own soil. Looking great. @murky

2 Likes

Pawpaw seedling.(8.4th.2020)

4 Likes