Peach Cobbler

Bummed that my peach trees are blooming and suferring through 26 degrees and freezing rain right now.

Decided a peach cobbler was in order! Used frozen peaches from my trees, 2019.

Wish you all could smell it, it is amazing!

23 Likes

I’m about to use my last bit of blackberries from last season to make a cobbler. That looks great!

2 Likes

It is a toss up in our house which is the best- peach or blackberry cobbler! Sometimes I throw some blackberries or raspberries in with the peaches. It is all so good! Bet yours will turn out great!!
Now, I need to make a quick batch of vanilla ice cream, or just whip some sweetened cream…

1 Like

My wife made a cobbler from last year’s frozen Montmorency tart cherries, which we picked from our local orchard, Styers. Little dab of whip cream, soooo good!

2 Likes

Yum

Looks delicious. My peach trees are all blooming right now. So far, no frost/freeze. I look forward to making peach cobblers like this in August.
Sorry to hear about your lows temps and freezing rain. Those peach trees do not like that type of weather for sure.

2 Likes

April 12-15 looks like 30 degrees or so here in Kentucky…we’ll see.

1 Like

@KSprairie
Look yummy!!

That reminded me I have frozen peaches in the freezer. Care to share your recipe, please?

1 Like

Sure @mamuang! It is the easiest recipe. To give proper credit, it is from Debbie Fields’ Great American Desserts cookbook. I use peaches interchangeably with the blackberries. I will post recipe exactly how it is written, with my notes below it.

Blackberry Cobbler
12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks*
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar**
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt***
1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups fresh or frozen whole blackberries
(if frozen berries, thaw and drain well)****

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
    Place butter in a 9 x 13 baking pan and put the pan in the oven to melt butter.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients.
    Stir in the milk and vanilla until combined.
  3. Remove pan from oven and immediately pour the batter into the pan. Spoon blackberries evenly over the batter.
  4. Return pan to oven, bake for 30 - 45 minutes. Top should be golden and batter should not be wet when checked with a knife.

*I only use a half stick of salted butter (4 Tbsp), I thought 1 1/2 sticks was way too much when I first made it according to the recipe.
**I always reduce the sugar because I think this is too sweet. Adjust to your own taste, I use around 1 cup.
***I reduce salt to 1/4 tsp since I use salted butter
****When I use frozen blackberries, I never thaw and drain them. I just throw them in frozen and don’t have a problem with too much liquid.
When I use frozen peaches, I do thaw and drain them. I saved the juice to drink and only added the thawed peach slices. Turned out great with the perfect amount of moisture.
I also sprinkle cinnamon and cinnamon sugar over the top before baking, because we like it.
Easy recipe and delicious with just about any fruit, I would guess. I would love to try it with plums, once mine start producing. Peach and blackberry are our favorites though.

4 Likes

Stuck home and peaches in the freezer so made peach Belgium Waffle. Most peaches had damage last year that left one half bad and one half good so plenty of peach pieces in the freezer. Next will be peach cobbler unless I have too many beach daiquiris. .

4 Likes

Thank you. Will try it soon.

1 Like

Looks wonderful!

Cobbler sounds great, Thanks for posting the recipe.

1 Like

No problem, I am happy to share the recipe. I have been making that recipe for so many years. It couldn’t be easier, simple ingredients, and the star of the show is your fruit. Bake it, you’ll love it!

1 Like

Peach and blueberry cobbler from last summer. Was just thinking I should do another one - if I can find heavy cream at the store…

3 Likes

I’ve skipped this step too many times, and learned the hard way what a mess not draining makes. Recipe looks good.

1 Like

I can get away with no thawing and draining blackberries. If you want peach soup, skip the thaw and drain step! :slight_smile:
So many variations of cobblers, slumps, crisps, etc. This cobbler makes a cake like batter, rather than a biscuit type topping, which I found over years and years of baking, is how my family likes it best. For apples, we go more of a crisp route- actually a “brown betty” recipe. For sour cherries, they always prefer those in pie, but with a combo struesel and pie crust topping. You make what you like, and you like what you make!

3 Likes

Our first cobbler of the year for us. It’s a nectarine+pluot+blueberry cobbler.

Credit to my husband who did the cooking. I supervised :joy:

10 Likes

Not a peach cobbler but another peach dessert. This one is called Peach Crumb Bar.

It was really good. Made it for friends who came over for lunch. They loved it so much, they took some home.

@mrsg47 and @SMC_zone6 Besides an upside down peach cake, this crumb bar is another easy-to-made and delicious use of our peaches.

9 Likes

It sure looks delicious. Nice work!

1 Like