Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Interestingly I did a little research and found a possible answer among the pot forums. It seems that a metallic sheen can happen due to a copper deficiency.

The plant looks really healthy otherwise.

Scott

2 Likes

I bought a Asian pear tree a month ago, there are pears on the tree now. Stone fruits, the peach is a year sooner than the rest to bear fruits.

1 Like

where would you buy a tree old enough to do this?

Luck of the draw mostly if the tree will produce early. Large caliper is usually an indication that the tree is older than the average one in most nurseries. A little research doesn’t hurt on whether the specific variety is precocious. A dwarfing rootstock, or at least semi-dwarfing is a huge help to earlier fruiting.

I hate buying trees from Nurseries in the summer, but if you look at the local nurseries after spring you may find the trees that already have fruit forming. That’s pretty much a guarantee that it’s going to be an early producer.

Most of my trees are on 2nd and 3rd leaf. Peaches and asian pear tried to fruit this year, but I pinched off all fruitlets to size up tree quicker so next year (hopefully) I can get a better harvest.

For me, the smallest caliper trees seem to always come from One Green World.

1 Like

Has anyone here ever seen this kind of pear leaves? It is a seedling pear in its second year. First years growth was normal, but the newest leaves are very interesting…Since it has two types of leaves right now I guess this is just some kind of juvenile behaviour and the tree will revert to normal leaves later?

1 Like

My some large Asian pear from the store/unknown other parent seedling that’s been growing since February. That’s one of its first set of true leaves.

It’s mostly not those type of leaves. Not sure what it’s all about.

1 Like

Some betulifolia (“birch leaf”) pear rootstock leaves look similar, though I usually pinch them off before they get as big as yours did.

@clarkinks, have you seen behavior above from @evilpaul

1 Like

BTW, I saw on a Kwanzan cherry leaf w/ similar effect you showed, so it could be an ancestral trait common to rose family or higher up.

1 Like

I finished bagging my peaches this year with Clemson bags. I have bags left over will try them on some of my apple trees. For peaches, the Clemson video has you tie the bag over the peach and the branch. Apples have longer stems though. Bag the apple alone, or apple plus branch with the Clemson bag?

1 Like

I was a little stunned to find a tiny Comice pear tree barely a foot tall in my garden had 5 pears forming on it. I had to cut the little fruitlets off, as a single pear would have surely broken off the top of that tiny tree. So I guess size isn’t everything when it comes to early fruiting. I purchased it last summer, but did not plant it out this year as I felt it was too small to plant with my trees I’m trying to get into production.

2 Likes

I put in a comice this year and it’s leafing out now. it’s waist high. I’ll watch to see if it blooms. it’s probably too soon to let it have fruit develop though. good to know they can be that precocious

1 Like

Good source for Jujube scions for next year? My Li graft died but the rootstock is starting to show signs of life. And should I just let that grow this year or is there a better way to manage it knowing it’s either getting grafted over or ripped out?

My plum has different shade of colors on some of its leaves and on the fruitlets. What might be the cause ? Is it a serious problem? How to fix it? Thanks for the inputs

1 Like

The first thing comes to mind is virus infection. Hope it is not.

Plum pox?

https://growingfruit.org/t/article-from-ars-plum-pox-eradicated

You think it’s plum pox?

According to USDA, plum pox was eradicated in 2019 in the USA. I would think there’s a simpler explanation for what you’re seeing.

I will keep close monitoring to see any evidence developed in order to take further actions