Seedless Nordmann Kumquat

Kumquats for Christmas!

5 Likes

Kumquat harvest, net 1 kg (2.2 lbs)

Kumquat%20harvest%20net%201%20kg%202018-12-28

5 Likes

2.5 pints of Kumquat Marmalade. The other 1/2 pint over-boiled on the stove last night :laughing:

5 Likes

Have you ever had a Miewa Kumquat? How does this one compare if so? I’m almost prepared to toss out my variegated Eureka lemon due to how sensitive it is and replace it with another hardy kumquat.

Just tried kumquat today, I loved how it changed flavors in the mouth!

1 Like

The standard Eureka is a bit more hardy than the variegated, but 8a is asking a lot. I dont care for Meiwa kumquat, nor seeded Citrus in general.

Today I picked a few kumquats from our bush that had ripened over the last few months :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am interested in growing this as a privacy planting. I read it gets 8’ x 6’. However yours seems really short. Are you trimming it or is it a really slow grower?

1 Like

This cultivar is a slower growing shrub. I have seen decade-old others trimmed as dense bushes though – about 8’ high and wide with about 4’ depth.

2 Likes

Covered in white flower buds.

4 Likes

Christmas Kumquats

4 Likes

2 gallons, 9 lbs 14 oz. harvest :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Amazing Richard!! What do you and Janet have planned for them? Hope you two had a great Christmas and are doing well!

2 Likes

Marmalade!

2 Likes

7/30. In full bloom.

1 Like

1/13. Net harvest weight 7 2/3 lbs.

8 Likes

Very nice Richard… I’ve always loved kumquats though for some reason many don’t.

It’s interesting how that variety is a low bush shape…certainty can fit a different space in the garden.

1 Like

@Shibumi
The cultivar is normally an upright shrub on trifoliate rootstock. This location though receives very little direct sun at the ground level during the day between the fall and spring equiluxes. The tops of the plant are just starting to reach the winter sun midday. It will be interesting to watch its progress this decade.

2 Likes

Now serving …

I followed the recipe posted here.

1 Like